Mg>teaspoons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mg>teaspoons

i was told to give my child 30 mg of a medication. His medicine bottle says to give him 2 teaspoons. Is this the same?

Re: Mg>teaspoons

Probably not. Weight to volume conversion factors depend on the density of the substance, and every substance has a different density.

Without knowing the density of your medicine there is no way to know for sure.

And since it is medicine which could be harmful if taken in the wrong amount, I would suggest calling a pharmacy. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

How do you convert 118 m.g sodium to teaspoons ?

Comment

A metric teaspoon holds 5mL. For water, 5mL weighs about 5g or 5000mg.

For children, most medicines are prepared in a suspension. This means a small amount of the drug is diluted with a large amount of water, sugar, and flavouring and thickening agents. For example, where I live panadol is made in two suspension strengths, 120mg per 5mL, and 250mg per 5mL.

If the medicine you are using is a suspension of 15mg per 5 mL, then 30mg would be suspended in 10mL, which would be two teaspoons.

Comment

Sodium (Na) has a density of 968 kilograms per cubic meter. That means 118 mg would be 0.12 ml or 0.024 teaspoons. Almost too small of an amount to measure.

Keep in mind that sodium is a metal. If you are asking about common table salt, that is sodium chloride (NaCl) and does not have the same density.

Comment

What I am refering to is the sodium in my bread.
            Which is 190 m.g. or 8% per slice.
            I was just wondering if that was alot ?

Comment

According to Morton salt, there are 2360mg of sodium in 1 teaspoon of table salt.

Comment

That is good to know. Does it by chance say how many milligrams is the government recommended daily amount?

Comment

The American Heart Association recommends that adults who are healthy take in no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day.

Comment

Yes there is a mathematical conclusion for conversions. It is called the nonparenteral doses of medication. The equation looks something like this.

Dosage Ordered/Dosage Available * quanity (form or unit of measurement) = Dose to be given

Just plug in the numbers and convert.

Comment

Re: Ml>teaspoons

is 10 ML 2 teaspoons

Comment

Re: Ml>teaspoons

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        is 10 ML 2 teaspoons
                        10 ML (megaliters) is 2.64 million gallons. However, 10 mL (milliliters) is about 2 teaspoons. Case is important in metric units and prefixes.

Comment

I was having some trouble with this problem in a quiz i had to take. It was the only question i got wrong.
                          I was suppose to calculate the total mg of hydrocodone in a desired dose. the dose ordered was hydrocodone/Ace. Elixir. 2 tsp PO now. The dose on hand was hydrocodone 7.5 mg/Ace 500 mg/15 mL. I dont want the answer really, maybe just what i would do to find the answer on my own. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by aspromali View Post
                            I was having some trouble with this problem in a quiz i had to take. It was the only question i got wrong.
                            I was suppose to calculate the total mg of hydrocodone in a desired dose. the dose ordered was hydrocodone/Ace. Elixir. 2 tsp PO now. The dose on hand was hydrocodone 7.5 mg/Ace 500 mg/15 mL. I dont want the answer really, maybe just what i would do to find the answer on my own. Thank you
                            We're not pharmacists and don't understand all the "jargon" of the business. However, I think you are saying 15 mL of the mixture contains 7.5 mg of hydrocodone and 500 mg of ACE (whatever ACE is).

Probably what you need to know is that 1 tsp is approx 5 mL, and therefore 2 tsp is about 10 mL. I don't know whether you can use the rounded number or whether you need a seven significant figure conversion value from NIST SP 811. (Probably 10 mL is good enough). Note that 15 mL is about a Tablespoon (equal to 3 teaspoons)

So divide by 15 mL and multiply by 10 mL

Comment

how to convert 125 ml to teaspoons

Comment

Working...
                              X