X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting ng/ML to pmol/L

Can anyone help convert 2.0 ng/ML to pmol/L?

I'm trying to understand some test results but most information I've read is based on pmol/L and my test results are in ng/ML.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: converting ng/ML to pmol/L

Originally posted by Redmolly View Post
    Can anyone help convert 2.0 ng/ML to pmol/L?

I'm trying to understand some test results but most information I've read is based on pmol/L and my test results are in ng/ML.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Well, the milliliters to liters is easy, just multiply by 1000 mL/1 L.

To convert between grams and moles (regardless of prefixes) you have to know what the substance is and its its molar mass (numerically equal to the molecular weight). If you don't know that, you can't convert.

Comment

Thanks JohnS. The substance is AMH (Anti-Mullerian Hormone). For the molecular weight, all I have to go by is something I found doing a Google search for "Anti-Mullerian Hormone Molecular Weight". This is what I found:

"AMH is a homodimeric disulphide-linked glycoprotein with a molecular weight of 140 kDa"

Does that help at all? Its like reading Greek to me, so sorry I can't be more clear!

Comment

Originally posted by Redmolly View Post
        Thanks JohnS. The substance is AMH (Anti-Mullerian Hormone). For the molecular weight, all I have to go by is something I found doing a Google search for "Anti-Mullerian Hormone Molecular Weight". This is what I found:

"AMH is a homodimeric disulphide-linked glycoprotein with a molecular weight of 140 kDa"

Does that help at all? Its like reading Greek to me, so sorry I can't be more clear!
        Thanks. The dalton is equivalent to the unified atomic mass unit. I'm sure that's "Greek" but it is the unit for measuring molecular weight, the "k" as usual means 1000. So the molar mass is 140000 g/mol or 140 kg/mol.

2 ng/mL x 1000 mL/1 L x 1 mol/140 kg = 14.3 pmol/L
        (the medical part is all Greek to me, but that's the conversion. For any other substance, the second conversion factor changes with molecular weight)

Comment

Thanks again John. This was really helpful!

Comment

Hi John S

I'm hoping you might be able to help me out with a similar query, but converting the other way, from pmol/L to ng/ml

It's the same substance as above, but registering at 2.95pmol/L

Thanks
            Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              Hi John S

I'm hoping you might be able to help me out with a similar query, but converting the other way, from pmol/L to ng/ml

It's the same substance as above, but registering at 2.95pmol/L

Thanks
              Helen
              You just reverse the above. By keeping units attached to the numbers you can determine whether to divide or multiply. If you are doing it right, the unwanted units cancel

2.95 pmol/L X 1 L/1000 mL x 140 kg/1 mol = 0.413 ng/mL

Edit: Typo corrected from "2.95 pmol/M" to "2.95 pmol/L". The math was correct.
              Last edited by JohnS; 11-05-2011, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Brilliant. Thank you

Comment

Hello John S

You seem to be the expert here. I would be so grateful if you could convert 3.2pmol/l to ng/ML - again, the same substance so the same weight.

I know you've set out the formula but I'm afraid it's beyond me to apply it.

Hoping you can help

E

Comment

Hello John S

You seem to be the expert here. I would be so grateful if you could convert 3.2pmol/l to ng/ML - again, the same substance so the same weight.

I know you've set out the formula but I'm afraid it's beyond me to apply it.

Hoping you can help

E
                    3.2 pmol/L X 1 L/1000 mL x 140 kg/1 mol = 448 pg/mL or 0.448 ng/mL

Comment

John, that is so helpful and so quick. I can't thank you enough

Comment

Hi John.

can you help me as well. I am unsure what to add and what to divide.

I need to convert the same substance as the other posters AMH.

i want to convert 5.1 pmol/L to Ng/ml

thank you.

Comment

Hi John.

can you help me as well. I am unsure what to add and what to divide.

I need to convert the same substance as the other posters AMH.

i want to convert 5.1 pmol/L to Ng/ml

thank you.
                          Post #7 may have been confusing as it contained a typo I corrected. The math was correct, but the typo made it hard to follow as an example. By keeping units attached to the numbers you can determine whether to divide or multiply. If you are doing it right, the unwanted units cancel

5.1 pmol/L X 1 L/1000 mL x 140 kg/1 mol = 0.714 ng/mL

Comment

Thank you John!

Comment

Hi JohnS

Just been going through these calculations that you helped out with about a year ago, and I just wanted to say a big thank you for taking the time to answer those posts, as it has helped me convert my pmol/1 results to ng/mL.

So, thank you very very much!

Vanessa

Comment

Working...
                              X