X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing and Azimuths - North and South

Hi, Im new to this Bearing and Azimuths coverting system...I need your help please...

How can I convert the following bearings to azimuths by using the North and than South as a reference: N23degreeW N90degreeE N13.2degreeE S11.98degreeW N17degreeS S11degreeW and finally S79.89degreeE

Could someone show me how to do the North and South with the N23degreeW N90degreeE and the rest I will try on my own please...I'm getting
    Last edited by MathBoi; 12-21-2010, 12:42 PM.

Re: Bearing and Azimuths - North and South

Originally posted by MathBoi View Post
    Hi, Im new to this Bearing and Azimuths coverting system...I need your help please...

How can I convert the following bearings to azimuths by using the North and than South as a reference: N23degreeW N90degreeE N13.2degreeE S11.98degreeW N17degreeS S11degreeW and finally S79.89degreeE

Converting Azimuths to Bearings is easy and simple but I'm just confused on converting Bearings to Azimuths...Can anyone help solve my problems?
    Actually, I think those are azimuths and you want bearings. Azimuths are measured 0 - 90 E or W of N and S.

In the true bearing system, N is either 0 or 360, S is 180 and E and W are 90 and 270 respectively. It helps to make a little circle with the 4 quadrants NE, SE, SW, and NW, and a vertical N-S line.

The NE quadrant is clockwise from N, so you add the azimuth to 0 (just use as is).

The SE quadrant is counterclockwise of S, so you subtract the azimuth from 180 (easy with decimal degrees, a minor PITA with degrees/minutes/seconds).

The SW quadrant is clockwise from S, so you add the azimuth to 180.

Finally, the NW quadrant is counterclockwise from north so subtract azimuth from 360

To go the other way, add an E/W line to your drawing, and label bearings 0/360, 90, 180, 270. You can immediately determine what quadrant the bearing is in, then you can use the rules above to determine the departure from north or south.

Comment

On my worksheet it say Convert the following bearings to azimuths...etc.
      And I'm still confused as well

Comment

Could someone show me how to do the North and South with the N23degreeW N90degreeE and the rest I will try on my own please...I'm getting
        Applying the rules I mentioned above:

*N23degreeW is in the NW quadrant. Subtract from 360, get 333
        *N23degreeW is in NE quadrant, use as is, 90

Comment

Would it be that the N23degreeW is in the NW quadrant which is in quadrant II be 337 degree not 333 degree because I'm subracting 360-23 which equal to 337 degree?

Comment

Would it be that the N23degreeW is in the NW quadrant which is in quadrant II be 337 degree not 333 degree because I'm subracting 360-23 which equal to 337 degree?
            Yes, it would; I typo'd.
            (But now you're not confused, You've got it.)

Comment

can anyone please explain when you get to an Azimuth reading how you know whether it is a N/W-E reading or a S/W-E reading. the rest I'm fine with.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                can anyone please explain when you get to an Azimuth reading how you know whether it is a N/W-E reading or a S/W-E reading. the rest I'm fine with.
                An azimuth starts with an N or S (for north or south), then an angle, then an E or W (for East or West). You use the letters to define the quadrant. The angle is measured from either north or south as determined by the first letter, to the east or west as determined by the second letter. (The angle is always less than or equal to 90)

Comment

Working...
                X