Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert meters per second to radians per second

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Convert meters per second to radians per second

    Hello:

    As the title says I am trying to convert 5.277 m/s to radians/second for a tire with 3200 millimeters of circumference.

    A person sent me what is supposed to be the correct formula and data but I think it's wrong.

    Angular Speed rad/s = ((Linear Speed m/s) / (Tire Diameter m x Pi)) x 2Pi x 100

    This is what the solution is supposed to be:

    w = ((5.277 m/s) / (3.2 meters X Pi)) X 2 Pi X 100 = 329 rad / sec

    but according to me the 3.2 meters of the tire diameter should be 1018 millimeters (or 1.018 meters) instead. So:

    w = ((5.277 m/s) / (1.018 meters X Pi)) X 2 Pi X 100 = 1036 rad / sec

    What do you guys think?

    Thanks and help is greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Re: Convert meters per second to radians per second

    Originally posted by robertin75 View Post
    Hello:

    As the title says I am trying to convert 5.277 m/s to radians/second for a tire with 3200 millimeters of circumference.

    A person sent me what is supposed to be the correct formula and data but I think it's wrong.

    Angular Speed rad/s = ((Linear Speed m/s) / (Tire Diameter m x Pi)) x 2Pi x 100

    This is what the solution is supposed to be:

    w = ((5.277 m/s) / (3.2 meters X Pi)) X 2 Pi X 100 = 329 rad / sec

    but according to me the 3.2 meters of the tire diameter should be 1018 millimeters (or 1.018 meters) instead. So:

    w = ((5.277 m/s) / (1.018 meters X Pi)) X 2 Pi X 100 = 1036 rad / sec

    What do you guys think?

    Thanks and help is greatly appreciated.
    I think the various "formulas" are resulting in confusion between radius, diameter, and circumference, and I have np idea where the fctor of 100 arose. One complete turn of the tire (ie, the circumference) represents 2*pi radians, so
    5.277 m/s x 2*pi radians/3.2 m = 10.36 radians/s

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Convert meters per second to radians per second

      Thanks a lot for the simplified formula.

      So using an equation the formula would be:

      w = (v * (2 * Pi) ) / circumference

      where w = angular speed
      v = linear speed
      Pi = 3.1416

      w = (5.277 m/s * (2 * 3.1416)) / 3.2 mts

      Kindly confirm.

      Thanks

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Convert meters per second to radians per second

        Originally posted by robertin75 View Post
        Thanks a lot for the simplified formula.

        So using an equation the formula would be:

        w = (v * (2 * Pi) ) / circumference

        where w = angular speed
        v = linear speed
        Pi = 3.1416

        w = (5.277 m/s * (2 * 3.1416)) / 3.2 mts

        Kindly confirm.

        Thanks
        That is correct

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Convert meters per second to radians per second

          Hello:

          Can that formula still be simplified more without involving Pi as follows:

          w = (2 * v) / d

          where:

          w = angular speed
          v = linear speed in meters / second
          d = diameter in meters

          w = (2 * 5.277 m/s) / 1.018 meters

          w = 10.36 rad / sec

          This way we don't have to deal with floating point values when using this algorithm on an embedded C language program where floating point variables are not allowed.

          Thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Convert meters per second to radians per second

            Originally posted by robertin75 View Post
            Hello:

            Can that formula still be simplified more without involving Pi as follows:

            w = (2 * v) / d

            where:

            w = angular speed
            v = linear speed in meters / second
            d = diameter in meters

            w = (2 * 5.277 m/s) / 1.018 meters

            w = 10.36 rad / sec

            This way we don't have to deal with floating point values when using this algorithm on an embedded C language program where floating point variables are not allowed.

            Thanks
            Yes, since the circumference is pi*diameter, it will cancel out

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Convert meters per second to radians per second

              Ok, thanks a lot !

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Convert meters per second to radians per second

                easy formula

                V=rj

                v=velocity
                r=radius
                j=angular velocity

                Comment

                Working...
                X