conversion insulin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conversion insulin

i am working on a translation of an american book into dutch.

i need tot know how i must convert micro-international units per ml (mcIU/mg)to international units per ml (uIU/ml)

a normal insulin fasting range would be 6-35 mcIU/ml
    would uIU/ml be the same as mcIU/ml? since the normal range in uIU/ml would be 3-22 (in belgium)

Re: conversion insulin

Originally posted by marja View Post
    i am working on a translation of an american book into dutch.

i need tot know how i must convert micro-international units per ml (mcIU/mg)to international units per ml (uIU/ml)

a normal insulin fasting range would be 6-35 mcIU/ml
    would uIU/ml be the same as mcIU/ml? since the normal range in uIU/ml would be 3-22 (in belgium)
    I'm not 100% sure but I suspect the "mc" is an improper symbol for "" (micro) used by the American medical profession. It is much more commonly seen as mcg instead of g for microgram. I think they should learn to write more clearly, but the argument is that a poorly scrawled can look like an m, and cause microgram/milligram confusion in dosing. In printed text, and prescriptions entered in a computer, it seems an unnecessary departure from correct SI usage. Only the medical/pharmaceutical industry in the US uses this (improper) convention, other metric industries do not.

Comment

Are you trying to convert the readings of blood glucose meter?
      If you are the manufacturer or the instructions should give you that information.

Comment

Sandra,

There is apparently a blood test for insulin levels and a conversion factor for clinical results is given in the JAMA author instructions for conversion to SI units:
        http://jama.ama-assn.org/site/misc/auinst_si.xhtml
        (scroll down the table to insulin)

Comment

thank you johns. i believe you are probably right!

Comment

Working...
          X