Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mole percent to weight percent for gas

how could i converte mole % to weight % for gas mixture

example
    gas mixture ( methane 10 mole % and argon 90 mole % )

pressure 2000 psi

volume 50 litre

if i want prepare this mixture using Gravimetric method what is the wight percent for each commponent in kg

Re: mole percent to weight percent for gas

Originally posted by amrnasser87 View Post
    how could i converte mole % to weight % for gas mixture

example
    gas mixture ( methane 10 mole % and argon 90 mole % )

pressure 2000 psi

volume 50 litre

if i want prepare this mixture using Gravimetric method what is the wight percent for each commponent in kg
    Consider 100 moles of gas:
    10 moles CH4 @ 16.04246 g/mol = 160.4246 g
    90 moles Ar @ 39.948 g/mol = 3595.32 g
    100 moles, 3755.744 g, avg. mol. wt 37.55744 g/mol
    %CH4 = 160.4246 g/3755.744 g x 100% =4.27%
    %Ar, 95.73%

If you know the average molecular weight of the mixture, you can multiple the mole percentage of each constituent by the ratio of its molecular weight to the average molecular weight. However, you usually don't know it and have to calculate it via the above, which gives the answer directly.

For dilute pollutants in air, it is often assumed the molecular weight of the mixture is the same as air.

Comment

thank you very much for your answer

are there any way to converte mole% to weight % via partial and total pressure of mixture ?

another question some customers needs the conc. in vol% or mole ppm so calculations in same way ?

thank you for your help

Comment

Originally posted by amrnasser87 View Post
        thank you very much for your answer

are there any way to converte mole% to weight % via partial and total pressure of mixture ?

another question some customers needs the conc. in vol% or mole ppm so calculations in same way ?

thank you for your help
        The usual assumption is that the Ideal gas Law applies (and Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures), so mole%, volume% and partial pressure (ratio) are all the same. Otherwise, you have to deal with a much more complex gas equation of state and the issue is where do you find the coefficients.

To convert to or from weight percent, you need the molecular weight of each constituent and the mixture. From each constituent and the mole%, you can calculate the mixture.

Comment

Working...
        X