X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kanal and square meters

I am a german, living in Lahore and on the way to buy a plot. My profession is surveyor.

When a property dealer offered me today a 1 kanal plot I measured exactly and found out that that plot had the meassurements: 27,40 x 15,20 meters =
    416,48 sq m.

I found informations in internet that in Pakistan the plot size of 1 Kanal is
    505.85 sq m
    The dealer explained me that in LAHORE the size of a plot is 4500 sq feet.
    My brother in law who was longtime working in a big bank for lone giving said that the plot size of 1 Kanal is 437,5 sq m.
    Other people told me that the size of a 1 Kanal plot is different and depense if you are living in Islamabad or Lahore or Karachi.

Is there anybody who can give me a correct answer about WHAT IS CORRECT?

Re: Kanal and square meters

Originally posted by Seym View Post
    I am a german, living in Lahore and on the way to buy a plot. My profession is surveyor.

When a property dealer offered me today a 1 kanal plot I measured exactly and found out that that plot had the meassurements: 27,40 x 15,20 meters =
    416,48 sq m.

I found informations in internet that in Pakistan the plot size of 1 Kanal is
    505.85 sq m
    The dealer explained me that in LAHORE the size of a plot is 4500 sq feet.
    My brother in law who was longtime working in a big bank for lone giving said that the plot size of 1 Kanal is 437,5 sq m.
    Other people told me that the size of a 1 Kanal plot is different and depense if you are living in Islamabad or Lahore or Karachi.

Is there anybody who can give me a correct answer about WHAT IS CORRECT?
    There seem to be a number of these units used in India and Pakistan that have different definitions in different parts of the respective countries. Some were standardized to Imperial measure under British rule but not in all areas.

Unless the respective governments' national standards laboratories standardize the units, there is little hope of everyone agreeing on what it means. We get many requests here about this, the marla, and the bigha, and I am afraid we are little help.

It is probably best to demand a survey, in square meters. Both countries are nominally metric in spite of the continued use of "traditional units."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X