X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dilution help

I need help with this problem. You don't need to know the science, it is more of a dilution and concentration math problem.

I have a standard reaction setup below with these reagents:

H20 = 32.75ul
    10x PCR buffer = 5ul ---> final 1x
    MgCl2 (25mM) = 3ul -----> final 1.5mM
    Primer F (10uM) = 2.5ul ---> final 0.5uM
    Primer R (10uM) = 2.5ul -----> final 0.5uM
    dNTP (10mM) = 1ul ------>final 0.2mM
    DMSO (100%) = 1ul ------>final 2%
    DNA = x
    Taq polymerase (5U) = 0.25ul ----> final 0.025U
    Total = 50ul

The DNA must be 1ug in 50ul. I have DNA at 20ng/ul.

The only way can get 1ug in 50ul is if I add 50ul of DNA into the reaction. But even if I make H2O = 0ul, I will still be about 15ul over my required 50ul, and the final concentrations of each reagent will change.

I need to have 1ug of DNA in the reaction but keep my final reagent concentrations the same (or close as possible) to the standard reaction above. I am sure I can find a way if I keep plugging away with the numbers but I don't have that much time. Can someone help me?

Re: dilution help

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I need help with this problem. You don't need to know the science, it is more of a dilution and concentration math problem.

I have a standard reaction setup below with these reagents:

H20 = 32.75ul
    10x PCR buffer = 5ul ---> final 1x
    MgCl2 (25mM) = 3ul -----> final 1.5mM
    Primer F (10uM) = 2.5ul ---> final 0.5uM
    Primer R (10uM) = 2.5ul -----> final 0.5uM
    dNTP (10mM) = 1ul ------>final 0.2mM
    DMSO (100%) = 1ul ------>final 2%
    DNA = x
    Taq polymerase (5U) = 0.25ul ----> final 0.025U
    Total = 50ul

The DNA must be 1ug in 50ul. I have DNA at 20ng/ul.

The only way can get 1ug in 50ul is if I add 50ul of DNA into the reaction. But even if I make H2O = 0ul, I will still be about 15ul over my required 50ul, and the final concentrations of each reagent will change.

I need to have 1ug of DNA in the reaction but keep my final reagent concentrations the same (or close as possible) to the standard reaction above. I am sure I can find a way if I keep plugging away with the numbers but I don't have that much time. Can someone help me?
    You can't get around it. 1g = 1000ng.
    In order to get 1g of DNA, you need 50L of 20ng/L solution.

Therefore, you need a more concentrated solution to start with, anything you add to it will just be diluting the DNA concentration.

Comment

Hello,

Sorry not to be of any help to your question. But I am having a slight issue with diluting concentrations. I need to use 2mM dNTP in my PCR reactions at a volume of 5 micro litres per sample. Can anyone help me with how I can obtain a 2mM dNTP concentration??

Many thanks for your advice.

Abbi

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Hello,

Sorry not to be of any help to your question. But I am having a slight issue with diluting concentrations. I need to use 2mM dNTP in my PCR reactions at a volume of 5 micro litres per sample. Can anyone help me with how I can obtain a 2mM dNTP concentration??

Many thanks for your advice.

Abbi
        Hi Abbi, what concentration do you have to start with? 2mM means 2 millimoles per litre.

5L will need 10 nanomoles of your dNTP

(1mL has 2moles, 1L has 2nanomoles.)

Comment

Working...
        X