How many pounds are in a gallon ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many pounds are in a gallon ?

I need to learn how to figure out how many pounds are in a gallon, how do I convert the gallon into figuring out how many pounds are in one gallon and so on. Thank you

Re: How many pounds are in a gallon ?

It depends on a gallon of what?

A gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs. A gallon of gasoline weighs about 6lbs. A gallon of lead weighs a lot more.

Comment

i think the fisherman is smart....

Comment

I need to figure out how to convert puonds in a gallon. Work at bakery and machines have been changed..Please help

Comment

since you mentioned you work in a bakery you will have different things that would weigh different amounts. As the fisherman said there are 8 pounds of water in a gallon. think of it as 8 oz. per cup, there are 2 cups in a pint and 2 pints in a quart and 4 quarts in a gallon. There are 16 oz. to a pound of water and some other liquid ingredients, but there are dry ingredients that you will be using that have other weights. You can look on most packages and it should give you some kind of weight per cup.
          Last edited by Sandra; 10-31-2007, 04:56 PM.

Comment

For a bakery, the quantities should be large enough that a digital scale could easily weigh them.

Becomes difficult to imagine how they weigh teaspoon sized volumes of things like in recipes you see in the UK. But large quantities seem feasible.

Comment

8 lbs = 1 gallon is one conversion

1 lbs = 1/8 (0.125) gallons is another conversion.

suppose we convert 100 pounds. Will we have more than 100 gallons or less than 100 gallons?

(pause)

It should be less than 100 gallons. It takes a lot of pounds to get 1 gallon.
              If we multiply by 1, nothing changes so we either mulitply by 8 or divide by 8.
              (dividing by 8 is the same as multiplying by 0.125)

we want fewer gallons so we will divide by 8

100/ 8 = 12.5 gallons
              100*0.125 = 12.5 gallons

so

100 pounds = 12.5 gallons

If we have 10 gallons, do we multiply or divide 8?

(pause)

That's right multiply

80 pounds = 10 gallons

RB

Comment

You must know the specific gravity in order to do a conversion.
                For example, Water with a specific gravity of 1 weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon.

Comment

while lead, with a specific gravity of 11.34, will weigh 94.636 886 486 pounds per gallon; and uranium, with a specific gravity of 19.1, will weigh 159.397 225 034 pounds per gallon; while aerogel, with a specific gravity of 0.003, will weigh 0.025 036 213 pounds per gallon, or 0.400 579 414 ounces per gallon

Comment

What about ink? Does a gallon of ink weigh 8lb?

Comment

Originally posted by vanessaglndl
                      I need to learn how to figure out how many pounds are in a gallon, how do I convert the gallon into figuring out how many pounds are in one gallon and so on. Thank you
                      The question is a gallon of what?
                      Assuming water, the saying is (a pint is a pound the world around). So if there are 8 pints in a gallon, then it should weigh 8 pounds.

This is of coarse a wives tale. Searching the web I found a couple of answers. One is that it weighs 8.345404 pounds per gallon. The other is that it weighs 62.4 lb/cu.ft. To cross check the two answers I used something that I know somehow and that is that there are 231cu. in. in a gallon.

So I can use that to see if the two answers agree. A cubic foot has 12*12*12 = 1728 cu. in. so if there are 62.4 pounds of water in a cubic foot then there are 62.4/1728 = 0.036111111111111 pounds per cu. in. of water. Since we know that there are 231 cu. in. of water in a gallon then we can calculate that 0.0361111111 * 231 = 8.34166666 pounds per gallon = the weight of water. Pretty close to the other answer.

The difference is possibly because it depends on the temperature and altitude that the water is measured at. For practical purposes 8.343 pounds per gallon should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        What about ink? Does a gallon of ink weigh 8lb?
                        How manny pounds of solvent are in a Gallon

Comment

How many pounds are in a gallon ?

How many pounds are in a gallon of water?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                            How many pounds are in a gallon of water?
                            Warer is about 8.34 lb/gal, but it varies slightly with temperature.

Comment

52 pounds of dog food fits in a 20 gallon trash can

Comment

Working...
                              X