X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting milligrams to teaspoons

I am trying to convince my dad that he needs to give up some, not all, of his snack products because they are so high in salt, which he is supposed to be watching. I tried to find a table that will convert milligrams to teaspoons, but didn't have any immediate luck (although I will admit I didn't look that long, either). I might be able to figure this out myself given enough time. However, since the point is to keep my dad from killing himself within the next ___ years a little help would probably be good. Math has never been my thing. I always have to do it the slow, tedious way. It's disgusting. Thanks for your help.

Re: Converting milligrams to teaspoons

Common table salt has a density of about 5 grams per teaspoon

But that does not convert directly to the sodium found in processed food. Common table salt is sodium chloride mixed with iodine and other anti-caking substances. Multiply the grams of salt by 0.40 to get the approximate amount of sodium.

I think you need to just read the nutrition facts found on the label. For a 2000 calorie diet the recommended amount is 2400 mg of sodium a day. But check the labels, and multiply by the number of servings.

1 teaspoon of table salt would be 5000 grams, which is about 2000 mg of sodium.

Comment

Check out this link here:
      http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-1533.html

Comment

Thanks. That is a big help. We have had this discussion before, but he really does forget. I really think it helps to be able to visualize it. My mom had to go to a kidney Dr. once and they had a visual of how much salt was in common foods. For me, it was shocking. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks again from me. I have a sick son and we needed to do the same conversion and your post was very helpful.

Will

Comment

Bob's answer above is certainly in the ballpark. Bulk densities vary with grind so the answer for weight of a teaspoon of salt may vary.

I'd like to outline two ways of finding reliable answers to such questions:

*Ask the package
            I asked my salt box. The nutrition info panel said a serving was 1/4 teaspoon which weighed 1.5 g and contained 590 mg sodium (1 teaspoon, 2360 mg). Note that the metric serving size and analysis are reliable. The Customary serving size is rounded.

Packages of bulk goods like flour, sugar, etc frequently give a supplemental figure for total number of cups in the package or cups per pound. Since the package is ALSO labelled in metric weight, that may be helpful in converting grams to cups or vice versa. The data will be specific to that producer's grind and is better than general tables.

*Ask the USDA
            Good source for US goods. Grinds that are different in other countries may affect densities. Link:
            http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

The search engine is clunky. When you find what you want you can select the size serving for which you want a complete analysis. The database is based on density and analysis per 100 g. Everything else is converted.

Per it, 1 teaspoon of salt is 6 g and 2325 mg sodium.

Given rounding rules, and the fact one figure is brand specific, the other generic, these agree pretty well.

Comment

how many teaspoons are in 1,500 milligrams?

Comment

Converting milligrams to teaspoons

In Health class, the teacher some how converted 1.262 mg of salt to 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt. I don't know how she did it, but she gave us a bunch of problems to do like that, that include: .859 to _
                .004 to _
                .44 to _
                .05 to _
                .078 to _
                .04025 to _
                .32 to _
                .3 to _
                My Health teacher, didn't have the time to explain this converting thing to us, so we are all stuck, and not one of us no what to do.
                Thanks to whoever can help. This project I'm doing is due Friday, so please help me.

Comment

Originally posted by Katlyn View Post
                  In Health class, the teacher some how converted 1.262 mg of salt to 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt. I don't know how she did it, but she gave us a bunch of problems to do like that, that include: .859 to _
                  .004 to _
                  .44 to _
                  .05 to _
                  .078 to _
                  .04025 to _
                  .32 to _
                  .3 to _
                  My Health teacher, didn't have the time to explain this converting thing to us, so we are all stuck, and not one of us no what to do.
                  Thanks to whoever can help. This project I'm doing is due Friday, so please help me.
                  Your teacher did it wrong. See post #6 for the correct density of salt. One teaspoon (5 mL) is about 6 g of salt or 6000 mg.

1.2 mg is about the size of a fly poop. What are the units associated with all those other numbers? What units are the answers supposed to be in.

On your teacher's original problem 1.262 mg x 1 teaspoon/6 g = 0.00021teaspoons. 1.262 g would be 0.21 teaspoons (just under 1/4). She needs to attend remedial metric system.

For any conversion of mass to volume, you have to look up in a reference or measure the density.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Fogt View Post
                    Common table salt has a density of about 5 grams per teaspoon

But that does not convert directly to the sodium found in processed food. Common table salt is sodium chloride mixed with iodine and other anti-caking substances. Multiply the grams of salt by 0.40 to get the approximate amount of sodium.

I think you need to just read the nutrition facts found on the label. For a 2000 calorie diet the recommended amount is 2400 mg of sodium a day. But check the labels, and multiply by the number of servings.

1 teaspoon of table salt would be 5000 grams, which is about 2000 mg of sodium.
                    5000 grams is 17 ounces. your math is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rgrguitar View Post
                      5000 grams is 17 ounces. your math is wrong.
                      Pot, kettle. 5000 g is just over 11 pounds, or 176.4 oz.

The 5000 g either should have been 5 g or 5000 mg (same thing).

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                        Pot, kettle. 5000 g is just over 11 pounds, or 176.4 oz.

The 5000 g either should have been 5 g or 5000 mg (same thing).
                        Yeah I certainly didn't mean to say salt weighs 5 kilograms per teaspoon. Funny that I said it right in the first sentence and not on the last.

Comment

This person means mg not grams. And also, for individuals over 50, the American Heart and Lung Association recommended daily sodium is 1500 mg, not 2400. So for the woman worried about her father, this is a helpful fact.

Comment

How much is 6mg in tsp or ml?

Comment

9.375 milligrams to teaspoons

Comment

Working...
                              X