Convert Hz to RPM to FPM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Hz to RPM to FPM

I have a motor that rotates at 1800 RPM at 60 Hz. It then runs through a 15:1 gearbox that spins a 4" work roll. How do I calculate the FPM of the work roll based on different frequencies and work roll diameters? I not only want to know the formula, but also how the formula is derived. Its been driving me crazy!!!

Re: Convert Hz to RPM to FPM

Originally posted by John Young View Post
    I have a motor that rotates at 1800 RPM at 60 Hz. It then runs through a 15:1 gearbox that spins a 4" work roll. How do I calculate the FPM of the work roll based on different frequencies and work roll diameters? I not only want to know the formula, but also how the formula is derived. Its been driving me crazy!!!
    Work roll turns at 1800 RPM/15 = 120 RPM

Each revolution advances the work the circumference of roll, pi*d
    4" = (1/3) ft so
    120 rev x pi x (1/3) ft/rev = 40*pi ft/min ~ 125.66 FPM

Comment

OK, thanks, but how does that equate to Hertz?

Comment

Originally posted by John Young View Post
        OK, thanks, but how does that equate to Hertz?
        There is not necessarily a simple connection. At 60 Hz, a sybchronous motor with two poles turns at 3600 RPM, 4 poles 1800 RPM, etc. An induction motor always slips a little (depending on load) with respect to the electrical frequency, so a four pole induction motor might only be around 1600-1700 RPM.

The electrical field rotation rate is 60 Hz times the number of pole pairs (poles/2) times 60 seconds per minute, for two pole winding 3600 cycles per minute, for four pole 1800 cycles per minute.

Comment

Working...
        X