X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTM to Decimal Degrees to Lat/Long

A calculator to convert between UTM, Decimal Degrees, and Lat/Long would be very helpful. Thanks!

Re: UTM to Decimal Degrees to Lat/Long

Absolutely it would, and its on my to-do list.

I have been researching this, and have a few links collected. Try this site here:

http://www.cellspark.com/UTM.html

Comment

Any luck with the converter? I agree it would be very helpful!

Comment

It has been researched, and is on my list, just nothing up on the site.

I know I am a bit behind right now, I am just the only person working on the site.

All the college students I have helping must be on break or nearing finals. They only really help out when they need the spending money.

Luckily though I am in negotiation with a programmer in Belgium who expressed interest in working here and at a price I can afford, so keep your fingers crossed that I may have help soon.

Comment

hey there, were just guest, we were looking for a way to convert this data without a computer (for a canoe trip)
          Does anyone have an idea? Thanks a lot in advance, greets, Celia

Comment

I try tu use the online conveter from degrees to UTM coordinates, and the converter didn´t accept that my seconds because it´s a decimal number, like 0,5´´........anyone
            know any solution?

Thanks
            A.

Comment

I am Mr. Koech from Egerton University. I am finding it hard to do the conversion from UTM to decimal degrees to latitude and longitude. Your indulgence in this will be of great help to me.
              Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Koech View Post
                I am Mr. Koech from Egerton University. I am finding it hard to do the conversion from UTM to decimal degrees to latitude and longitude. Your indulgence in this will be of great help to me.
                Thank you
                The math is really quite cumbersome. If you wish to write your own computer program, you need Redfearn's equations. These are pretty well described in an Australian Geodetic Survey manual available on the web. It involves a series expansion of the ellipsoid model of the earth and requires iterative solutions. (After reading it, I concluded I WASN'T writing my own routine.)

Unless you have a lot of data, it is better to use a canned routine. Whatever NGS stands for it is the new name of the US Geodetic Survey. Routines for both UTM and USNG are near the bottom of this tool page:
                http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/TOOLS/program_descriptions.html

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                  Whatever NGS stands for it is the new name of the US Geodetic Survey.
                  NGS = National Geodetic Survey

Maybe they assumed that "US" was just too confusing but the math isn't? :-)

Comment

Re: UTM to Decimal Degrees

Please can any can one can help me to convert UTM to Decimal Degree,i am new to this technology

Comment

Re: UTM to Decimal Degrees

Originally posted by T-LUCK View Post
                      Please can any can one can help me to convert UTM to Decimal Degree,i am new to this technology
                      See the link in post #8. I strongly recommend using a canned routine, rather than writing your own from Redfearn's equations.

Comment

Working...
                      X