X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yarn conversion yards to ounces

I need to figure out how convert a yarn requirement for an afghan pattern. The pattern calls for 2,000 yards of worsted weight yarn but the skeins are labeled for ounces. Anyone know a conversion? Would appreciate any help I can get!

Re: yarn conversion yards to ounces

The units you mention are actually measuring different things.

"ounces" actually stands for ounce weight. For yarn this is usually ounces per linear yard. This is the density of the yarn.

The "yards" in "yards of worsted" actually means the length, so you need 2000 yards of it.

Worsted yarn has a fairly specific density, its defined as a gauge of 20 stitches per 10 centimeters. Its made of short strands 3 inches long, of a specific type of wool, that are twisted then spun together.

So as long as the yarn says "worsted" and is made of wool then it should be the correct density, the ounce weight should be correct. You will just need the length to total 2000 linear yards.

For acrylic yarns that are called "worsted", it means the ounce weight is similar to that of worsted wool. I think (but not sure) that technically only wool yard can be called worsted, but they probably don't care and call acrylic yarn worsted too if its of similar density.

Comment

I am wondering the same question.

I understand that there is a difference between weight and length, and everyone who knits knows what worsted weight is.

The problem is there should be a formula that, given say 1 oz of worsted weight, tells me approximately how many yards that is.

My specific question is that I have 8 oz of unspun wool. There should be a way to figure out approximately how many yards of worsted, or indeed whatever weight yarn I spin, it will yield.

Thanks!

Comment

I have 6 ounce of TLC Amore yarn. The label doesn't say how many yards. Is there a way I can find out the yardage so I can use this with a pattern?

Comment

Hi! I have 595 yards of yarn. The skein weighs 20 grams. What weight us the yarn considered to be? Thread or cobweight I imagine - I can't find an online calculator for this.

__ Anet

Comment

A simple way to do the conversion is to find a yarn of the same weight (i.e. worsted) with the yardage listed, then use a scale to weigh the yarn. To find the yard per ounce, divide the listed yardage of the yarn by the weight of the yarn in ounces. For instance, I have a medium weight yarn that is 103 yards. Upon weighing the yarn, it is 3 oz. To figure out how many yards my 7 oz medium weight yarn is, I first figure out how many yards per ounce by dividing 103 by 3 which results in approximately 34.3 yards per ounce. I take this measure, then multiply it by the weight of the yarn whose yardage is unknown, 7 in this case, which results in 240.3 total yards. Using this calculation, I can deduce that my 7 oz skein of yarn whose weight is similar to the 3 oz 103 yard skein, will have a length of 240.3 yards.

Comment

here is an approximate chart to use as a guide for yarn conversions:

weight # on label - WPI - yds/oz - recommended needle size
              ______________ ____ ______ ______________________
              1&2 Lace - 18+ - 51 - 0-3

3 Light/Super Fine - 14-17 - 34 - 2-4

4 Worsted/Medium - 10-13 - 27 - 5-10

5 Bulky - 7-9 - 16-19 - 11 & up

6 Super Bulky - 6 & Less - 12 - 11 & up

WPI: wraps per inch
              Last edited by Robert Fogt; 09-30-2010, 06:20 PM. Reason: Removed online store links

Comment

i have 3,500 yards of 2-ply worsted yarn and need to know if i have enough for a pattern that requires 48 oz. i got the wool from a friends sheep and had it spun locally so i does not come with a label.

Comment

I have been looking this up too. Annie's Attic says that for worsted weight it is approximately 50 yards per ounce. So, you need 400 yards to make 8 ounces of worsted weight. For nylon plastic canvas yard it is approximately 42 yards per ounce. The worsted weight I buy is acrylic. No wool content.

Comment

yarn conversion from yard to grams

i HAVE 680 YARDS OF bERROCO COTTON TWIST. HOW MANY GRAMS IS THAT?

Comment

Re: HELP PLEASE

I would like to knit a Cable Scarf
                      The pattern calls for 166 yards

I have yarn that i want to use
                      it is called Festival Mix Fiber
                      50 gr

I have 7 of them

Question
                      Do I have enough yarn to finish my Scarf
                      please help me
                      Thank you
                      Kimberly Williams 267-650-4850
                      k.williams38186@gmail.com

Comment

Re the berrocco question - answer is simple...

WEIGH IT!!

For the first reply to OP, one needn't know the make-up of worsted (which is not as you specified, and has nothing to do with whether it's wool or acrylic, it's more the tension/gauge or WPI) - one merely needs to know the yardage (or meterage) of yarn in the ball/skein, which can be found on the ball band. Simply divide the yardage required by the yardage of the ball to get the number of balls/skeins required.

It's as easy as that. Job done.

* please note, however, that yardage is not the same for every worsted weight (or aran, UK), DK, lace, fingering, sport, etc, so the maths needs to be done every time you use a different brand/yarn base. There is no 'one size fits all'.

Comment

these are the best estimates I've found for likely conversions, for working out which type of yarn you have and if you have enough for a project. as the person above me said there is no exact answer, as every ball of yarn varies. and every source site, and almost every manufacturer, I've looked at also varies in when they divide one type from the next.
                          as you can see from the following, just weighing and comparing to one other of the same named type may give a very different result from what you actually have. if in doubt buy another ball!! you can always make a patchwork thingie with left overs..

1 super fine, sock, fingering, baby, 3-ply = 400-500 metres per 100g / 437-546 yard per 3.5 oz. (14+WPI)
                          2 fine, sport, sock, 4-ply = 300-400 metres per 100g / 328-437 yard per 3.5 oz. (12WPI)
                          3 light, worsted, DK, 8-ply = 200-300 metres per 100g / 218-328 yard per 3.5 oz. (11WPI)
                          4 medium, worsted, afghan, aran = 140-240 metres per 100g / 153-262 yard per 3.5 oz. (8-10WPI)
                          5 bulky, craft, rug, chunky = 100-120 metres per 100g / 109-131 yard per 3.5 oz. (7WPI)
                          6 super bulky, super chunky = less than 100 metres per 100g / less than 109 yard per 3.5 oz. (6WPI OR LESS)
                          7 roving = less than 60 metres per 100g / less than 65 yard per 3.5 oz. (5WPI OR LESS)

good luck.

ps. if you know the name of the yarn, look it up on ravelry. they have most types listed even some discontinued ones from 50 odd years ago.
                          and as for the homespun yarn the only answer is to measure out a few yards/metres and weigh the section, then weigh the whole ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Fogt View Post
                            The units you mention are actually measuring different things.

"ounces" actually stands for ounce weight. For yarn this is usually ounces per linear yard. This is the density of the yarn.

Nope!
                            the different things are :- I believe you have given an industrial textiles answer, ie linear yard applies to a woven fabric of industry standard width, only then could ounces actually exist within a linear yard and be used to denote the thickness of the fabric.

this question is about hand knitting. no commercial yarn label ever says a number that would equate to that. 4-ply would have to say 0.008, aran would have to say 0.022. there is no ounces per yard, there are yards per ounce! and to have even one ounce per yard the "yarn" would have to be at least 2.5 inches thick!! so really not yarn at all.

my ball of 4-ply (sock or sport weight) hand knitting wool labelled as and weighing 1oz, is not 36 inches (1 yard) long! lol

5yds of this 4-ply is 0.04oz meaning that 1oz ball has 125yds

5yds of aran is 0.11oz meaning that 1oz of that ball has 45yds (so 100g[3.5oz] ball is approx 157yds)

and my 100g[3.5oz] ball of mega chunky is 65yds (which is the only ball I have that mentions length at all) which means 1oz of that ball has 18.5yds

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                              I need to figure out how convert a yarn requirement for an afghan pattern. The pattern calls for 2,000 yards of worsted weight yarn but the skeins are labeled for ounces. Anyone know a conversion? Would appreciate any help I can get!
                              as other people have said in response, every yarn is different, but this is a rough estimate.

if you have standard 3.5oz skein/ball. and a general worsted weight figure (which could be anywhere between 150-330yds) the example I'm using has 279yd per 3.5oz.

so @2000 yds, divide by 279 = 7.16 , this is the number of skeins you need,
                              which you can then multiply by the oz per skein,
                              7.16 x 3.5 = 25.06, this is the total oz required.

another example has 491yds per 8.82oz

so @2000 yds, divide by 491 = 4.07 skeins
                              4.07 x 8.82 = 35.92 oz req.

between 200yd - 300yd per 3.5oz skein, means between 23 and 35 total oz.

Comment

Working...
                              X