X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limestone conversion from ton to cubic yard

In South Louisiana it's called #610 limestone. I need apprx. 300 tons. How many cubic yards are in that?

Re: Limestone conversion from ton to cubic yard

I have no idea what #610 Limestone is, but I found the following:

Limestone, solid - 2.2 ton/cubic yard
    Limestone, broken - 1.3 ton/cubic yard
    Limestone, pulverized 1.17 ton/cubic yard

Determine if any of the above are close, then divide how many tons you need by the above density to get cubic yards.

tons / (ton/cubic yard) = cubic yards

These are U.S. short tons.

Comment

What is the difference between a US Short Ton and any other ton?

Also, depending on the size of crusted limestone, the density changes as well, the finer to size the higher the density. I am not sure 1.3 holds true for all sizes. I have heard it is closer to 1.6 for 2B's size limestone.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        What is the difference between a US Short Ton and any other ton?

Also, depending on the size of crusted limestone, the density changes as well, the finer to size the higher the density. I am not sure 1.3 holds true for all sizes. I have heard it is closer to 1.6 for 2B's size limestone.
        Short (US) ton = 2000 lb
        Long (Imperial, UK) ton = 2240 lb
        Metric ton = 1000 kg = 2204.6226 lb

Density of any crushed rock varies with smoothness/jaggedness of the pieces, and with uniformity/variation in size. Jaggedness tends to lower density as does uniformity in size (rather than a particular size). If there is a mix of large and small pieces, the small pieces can slip into the voids between big pieces. It can also vary between quarry locations. Your best bet would be to ask your quarry; they probably have a figure for their product.

Comment

610 is a mixed gradation of limestone with max size of about 3/4 inch; There are 2800 pounds of 610 limestone in one cubic yard; this limestone makes a great road base; NRCS in LA requires use of this type of limestone for Heavy Use Areas around water troughs and in gates for livestock operations; the site must be shaped in a convex shape with good packed fill dirt then either 6 inches of 610 limestone on top of a woven geotextile fabric or 8 inches of 610 limestone without the fabric must be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            In South Louisiana it's called #610 limestone. I need apprx. 300 tons. How many cubic yards are in that?
            How many tons per cubic yard of limestone?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
            Working...
            X

Debug Information