Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conversion chart tons to cubic yards

Originally posted by Wildharleyeyes05@aol.com View Post
    I NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY TONS IS 24YRDS OF CRUSHED CONCRETE I KNOW IT VERYS TELL ME IS 1 CUBIC YRD 1.5 TONS I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIGURE IT OUT PLZ I THINK THAT 24YRDS OF CRUSHED CONCRETE IS 36TONS BUT NOT POSTIVE thx
    I would guess closer to 1.2 - 1.4 ton/ydł.

Comment

Excavation of 6 "concrete in an area the 8,985 SF. were used 831.81 SY the asphalt in the same area. Why 202 CY Foundation Material Item 4 with the compaction of 10 tons roll were placed

Comment

Ineed 3" thickness of foundation material How many Tons will need on 9,000 SF

Comment

How many cubic yard to cubic ton

Comment

I need to convert 300 cy of 1/4 ton riprap to tons. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I need to convert 300 cy of 1/4 ton riprap to tons. Any suggestions?
              What is 1/4 ton rip-rap?

Typically, rip-rap is large stone in the range of 1.35 to 1.5 tons/cy3 but is dependent on the size and base material used.

Comment

19 CY = 513 Cubic Feet
                Asphalt Unit Weight is Approx 145 lbs per Cubic Feet
                513 x 145= 74,385 lbs
                =37 Tons

Comment

Where am I going wrong?
                  We had 2A modified, R-3 rock and foreign borrow delivered to our jobsite. The quanitites are delivered in tons and paid for in cubic yards and I must make the necessary payments.
                  I am having a great deal of difficulty finding the correct information to make my conversion from tons to CY.
                  I will use the 2A modified material as an example.
                  I understand that I must used the specific gravity of the material to convert from tons to CY.
                  Utililizing the reade.com webite, I used a value of 1.47. This would be an average value between the Limestone, broken quanity (1.55) and the Limestone, pulverized quanity (1.39).
                  Now I multiply that by 62.4 and get 91.7 lb/cu. ft.
                  Ok, so, I take my delivered amount in tons, which is 22.4 tons and multiply that by 2,000 to get pounds - 44,800 pounds. This represents one tri-axle load. Then I take 44,800 pounds and divide by 91.7 lb/cu.ft., then divide by 27 to get CY.
                  My final answer is 18 CY, except that a tri-axle only holds 12 CY. Where am I going wrong?
                  Last edited by InspectorPat; 06-24-2010, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by InspectorPat View Post
                    Where am I going wrong?
                    We had 2A modified, R-3 rock and foreign borrow delivered to our jobsite. The quanitites are delivered in tons and paid for in cubic yards and I must make the necessary payments.
                    I am having a great deal of difficulty finding the correct information to make my conversion from tons to CY.
                    I understand that I must used the specific gravity of the material to convert from tons to CY.
                    Utililizing the reade.com webite, I used a value of 1.47. This would be an average value between the Limestone, broken quanity (1.55) and the Limestone, pulverized quanity (1.39).
                    Ok, so, I take my delivered amount in tons, which is 22.4 tons and multiply that by 2,000 to get pounds - 44,800 pounds. This represents one tri-axle load. Then I take 44,800 pounds and divide by 91.7 lb/cu.ft., then divide by 27 to get CY.
                    My final answer is 18 CY, except that a tri-axle only holds 12 CY. Where am I going wrong?
                    I see nothing wrong in the method. I use a different datasheet that gives 2600 lb/ydł directly for broken limestone, or 1.3 ton/ydł. I would expect a mix of broken and pulverized to possibly be a little heavier, not the mean, because some of the dust fits in the airspace between larger pieces. This is common when there is a wide range of sizes (mixed sand and gravel). But even at 1.4 or even 1.5 ton/ydł (very unlikely), there is still a problem.

I would review whether the load was weighed accurately, or was delivered damp. Damp or wet material is considerably heavier and if you pay by weight, you are buying water.

Comment

Originally posted by InspectorPat View Post
                      Where am I going wrong?
                      Usually, you bill for CCY (compacted cubic yards) but I note you seem to be using LCY (loose cubic yards)? Regardless, that’s the problem that can be encountered when purchasing material by the ton and charging by the yard. I think John nailed the answer . . . you’re probably buying water, although a tri-axle should hold 16 to 18 LCY, depending on the gross weight and bridge law where you are.

Bear in mind the data on Readme.com (and others) makes no mention as to the moisture content of most of the listed materials. It’s simply an industry average.

I suggest you call the S&G pit and double check what their tons/LCY conversion factor is and . . . I strongly suggest you weigh a known volume, then interpolate that data to tons/cubic yard. Wouldn’t be the first time a S&G pit has made a slight error on their conversions. I have run across that problem a few times, and amazingly, it’s always been in their favor! Go figure.

Comment

John, Thanks for your quick reply. I've been giving this some thought and I do believe the material probably has some moisture in it. That is probably why we have, on some jobs, taken the number of loads delivered and simply multiplied it by 12 CY, the volume of a triaxle. (Looking at Dirtman's response I think we have to revisit that number, however, the original number was derived by measuring.) I am trying to improve on that method, especially since we are dealing with a variety of materials, each having their own unique weight. I called an asphalt organization and they suggested that I fill a 5 gal. bucket with the material and weigh it. I just may do that the next time around, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Comment

Dirtman, Thanks for the info. You hit the nail on the head with the loose vs. compacted CY. I called the S&G pit and their man told me to use 1.55 tons/yd3 for loose, 2A. That translates into 115 lb./ft.3. and is much higher than anything on the reade.com chart. The contractor told me that they use 140 lb./ft.3, but that must be for compacted material.
                          Thanks for taking the time to respond. It was a big help.

Comment

I need 3 yards of aggregate/sand; 70/30 or 60/40. How many tons is that? I have a 1/2 ton truck and wondered how heavy is 3 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                              I need 3 yards of aggregate/sand; 70/30 or 60/40. How many tons is that? I have a 1/2 ton truck and wondered how heavy is 3 yards.
                              Around 2900 lb/ydł dry, maybe 3400 lb/ydł wet, so you are looking at 4.5 - 5 tons, and a bunch of loads.

Comment

I need to conversion factor for Number 2 stone from tons to cubic yards.

Comment

Working...
                                X