Conversion from gallons to lbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion from gallons to lbs

Could you please tell me what the calculation is to conver gallons to lbs?

Re: Conversion from gallons to lbs

its 8lbs p/g

Comment

Converting volumes to weights:

A volume is how much space something takes up.

A weight is how heavy something is.

Different types of materials take up a different amount of space for the same weight. Everyone instinctively knows this, for example, you know a rock is going to be MUCH heavier than a peice of polystyrene of the same size. You know that if you put oil and water in a pan, the oil is going to float on top, because they do not mix and the oil is lighter.

This difference is referred to as "density".

If you want to convert a volume to a weight, you need to multiply by the density. If you want to convert weight to volume, you need to divide by the density.

If you have a gallon of water, then it weighs just over 8 pounds. If you have a gallon of mercury, then it weighs about 100 pounds. If you have a gallon of sand or gravel, it weighs about 30 pounds.

If you post the material you are trying to find the weight of, someone may have the density.

Comment

Cool. That explained it fairly well. Maybe I should put your reply into a FAQ page about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered

1 gallon of water is equal to 8.33 lbs

it depends on the substance you want to convert

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            US gallons of diesel to weight in lbs

Comment

US gallons of diesel to weight in lbs
              Water weighs 8.33 lb/gal, and a typical specific gravity for diesel (weight relative to water) is 0.84, so about 7 lb/gal.

However densities of petroleum products vary lot to lot. If you want any precision, you need to measure density with a hydrometer and use the value for that particular lot.

Comment

I came to this web site to get the conversion of Gal to Lbs I must say as much as I apprieite these formus I composed a full 50 page work up and gave it to my supervisior just to be told the project would have to be redone because the conversion was actually 12Lbs to 1 Gal. Hopefully this will save somebody some time.

Comment

I came to this web site to get the conversion of Gal to Lbs I must say as much as I apprieite these formus I composed a full 50 page work up and gave it to my supervisior just to be told the project would have to be redone because the conversion was actually 12Lbs to 1 Gal. Hopefully this will save somebody some time.
                  Did you read post #3, 5, or 7? The conversion between mass and volume is a property called density and it is specific to a substance. I'm sure something has a density of 12 lb/gal, but water has a density of 8.33 lb/gallon, gasoline about 6.1 lb/gallon, etc. Please don't assume there is a single factor that converts pounds to gallons universally. A two gallon bucket of feathers weighs a lot less than a two gallon bucket of lead shot.

Comment

How would you convert deer corn pounds to a 55 galloon drum?

Comment

300 gallons of waste oil equals how many lbs? and how much tonnage?

Comment

300 gallons of waste oil equals how many lbs? and how much tonnage?
                        Oils vary, you need to know the density or specific gravity.

If I guess in the middle of a typical range for lubricating oil, SG = 0.9. Since water weighs 8.34 lb/gal, oil with SG = 0.9 is about 7.5 lb/gallon. Therefore 2250 lb or 1.125 tons. This does not include the storage containers.

Comment

How do you convert pounds of propane to gallons?

Comment

How do you convert pounds of propane to gallons?
                            Propane is about 51% the weight of water or 4.25 lb/gal.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;17002]Could you please tell me what the calculation is to conver gallons to lbs?[/QUOT

How many pounds are in a gallon of milk?

Comment

Working...
                              X