X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting from dry wt. to wet wt.

I have some mussels that I dried, then digested and analysed for heavy metals, my results are in ug/g dry wt., I want to compare my results with others who have recorded their data in ug/g wet wt.

How do I convert my data???

If for example sample A has 8522ug/g dry wt. of Zn
    and wet wt - 5.9g
    Dry wt - 1.51g

Re: converting from dry wt. to wet wt.

5.9 / 1.51 = 3.9

So it appears to me that the wet weight is 3.9 times more than the dry weight.

But the amount of heavy metals wont change between wet and dry, so:

8522 ug/g dry / 3.9 = 2185 ug/g wet

That would be just a guess on my part though, as I am not completly sure I understood what you were looking for.

Comment

I didn't answer this because I was confused too. To my knowledge, Zn is not, and has never been considered a heavy metal. Heavy metals are lead, gold, uranium, etc. I don'y know that Cd is even considered heavy.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'm not really sure what I'm talking about either, but what you said makes sense.

Sorry for using Zn in the example - pretend its Pb!

Comment

You need to determine the moisture content of the raw (ie. wet weight) material before you can convert from dwb to wwb.

Comment

I am also facing the same problem, Please help me. I want to convert the dry wet concentration of element to wet weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Fogt View Post
              5.9 / 1.51 = 3.9

So it appears to me that the wet weight is 3.9 times more than the dry weight.

But the amount of heavy metals wont change between wet and dry, so:

8522 ug/g dry / 3.9 = 2185 ug/g wet

That would be just a guess on my part though, as I am not completly sure I understood what you were looking for.
              Hello
              I think first you should find water content of muscle (or % water). for example If we have 80% water in a meat. it means that in 1 kg of meat we have 800 gr water + 200 gr solid matters. So if you have 0.4 ug/kg dry wet (Hg concentration) it means that you have 0.4 ug metal in 5 kg wet wight of meat (1 kg of solid or dry matter have 4 kg water because water content is 80%). so you should divide 0.4 ug to 5 for calculation amount of have metal consecration in 1 kg wet weight. 0.4 ug/ 5 kg = 0.08 ug/kg wet weight.

it is my idea, please ask from other researcher.
              my ID: Esmaildarya@gmail.com
              Esmail

Comment

You must know the moisture content of your sample for conversion. The formula for conversion is: Dry weight concentration (DW) = wet weight concentration(WW) x (100/100-moisture percentage). To go from dry weight to wet weight -- WW = DW x ((100-%moisture)/100)

Comment

All you need is the moisture content (MC) and the concentration (i.e., 10g N/100g Dry Material) of your material. You can calculate MC using the fresh (Mfresh) and dry mass (Mdry) by using:

[(Mfresh - Mdry) / (Mfresh)] = MC

Then to get a concentration fresh weight you multiply your concentration by the moisture factor (MF):

(1 - MC) = MF

for example if we have a leaf that is 10gN/100g Dry Weight, with a moisture content of .75 we would take:

10gN/100g Dry Weight * (1 - .75) = 2.5gN/100 g Fresh Weight

Comment

You need moisture content (MC):

MC = [ (wet wt. - dry wt.) / (wet wt.) ]

and then your moisture factor (MF):

MF = (1 - MC)

you can then take your concentration and multiply it by your MF, i.e., your example numbers:

(MF) * concentration = [ 1 - MC ] * concentration =

{ 1 - [ (5.9g-1.51g)/(5.9g) ] } * 8522ugZn/gDryWeight = (1 - .744) * 8522ugZn/gDryWeight = 2181.63ugZn/gFreshWeight

Comment

Gud mrng,
                      I have done the estimation of Ascorbic acid for my sample on wet basis and i got 32 mg/100 g of my sample. kindly help me for the conversion of this wet weight to dry weight basis..

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        Gud mrng,
                        I have done the estimation of Ascorbic acid for my sample on wet basis and i got 32 mg/100 g of my sample. kindly help me for the conversion of this wet weight to dry weight basis..
                        Take 100g of your sample and dry it to constant weight. If (for example) that gives 3.6g, you now have 3.2mg ascorbic acid/3.6g of sample dry weight. You can change both values proportionately to show this per 100g dry weight:

100g/3.6g x 3.2mg = 88mgAA/100g dry weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          You need moisture content (MC):

MC = [ (wet wt. - dry wt.) / (wet wt.) ]

and then your moisture factor (MF):

MF = (1 - MC)

you can then take your concentration and multiply it by your MF, i.e., your example numbers:

(MF) * concentration = [ 1 - MC ] * concentration =

{ 1 - [ (5.9g-1.51g)/(5.9g) ] } * 8522ugZn/gDryWeight = (1 - .744) * 8522ugZn/gDryWeight = 2181.63ugZn/gFreshWeight
                          Hi. I have such problem about my tesis, which answer is right, please answer me? ww/wd or this answer?!

Comment

the production of pasture is 20 Mt per heckter. If the dry matter of pasture is 20% what is the volume of pasture in wet matter

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                            Working...
                            X

Debug Information