X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linear inches to gallons

I have a fuel tank that 8' wide by 7' long and 4.5'deep it holds 1750 gallons. The tank is elliptical in shape. where can I get a chart that relates measured inches to how many gallons are left in the tank.

Re: Linear inches to gallons

Basically you would have to calculate the volume for each inch. I do not have any automated calculator to do it all at once.

For example, the volume of an eliptical tank that is:
    8' x 7' x 1"
    8' x 7' x 2"
    8' x 7' x 3"
    8' x 7' x 4"
    etc

Check the Object Volume section
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/object_volume.htm
    to see if you find a shape to match your tank.

Though convert all units to the same base units, such as inches, first. Dont mix feet and inches or the result will be incorrect.

Comment

At the center point of your elliptical tank or 27" from the bottom one inch of fuel would equal approximately 33.954 US gallons. One inch above or below that mark would equal slightly less and the inch above and below that still less. In other words for every inch you measure above or below the center line the amount of space available to contain fuel decreases so that at a quarter tank and three quarters tank the inch mark there might only be able to hold 29.787 US gallons.

Full tank equals (54") 1,750 US gallons

3/4 tank equals (40.5") 1,312.5 US Gallons

1/2 tank equals (27") 875 US Gallons

1/4 tank equals (13.5") 437.5 US gallons

These are approximate figures only and should NOT be used for actual measurement purposes, but they will be close.

Comment

tank holds 500 gallon tank and if I put 52 inches to the gallon. How many gallons have I put in the tank?

Comment

I have a 850 gallon diesel above ground tank. how do I figure out in inches whats left in the tank? Is their a chart?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I have a 850 gallon diesel above ground tank. how do I figure out in inches whats left in the tank? Is their a chart?
            Depends on the shape. If it has vertical sides, the area is constant, and volume is just area x height. You need the height when full (850 gallons) and it varies linearly with height.

If it is a cylindrical tank on its side, the area varies with height and it is much more complicated. We need the radius or diameter, and the length. If it is not strictly horizontal, or if it has hemispherical end caps, that introduces additional complication.

Comment

My google-fu is pretty strong, and I found this. It only works for standard cylindrical tanks.

ableenergy .com /se /capacity . asp

have to take the spaces out.

Comment

say i have a 20' long X 12' round 500 barrel lay down tank. what is the inch to barrel conversion mind you tank is round and laying down.

Comment

Calculate the roof top area needed to fill a 10,000-gallon cistern with four inches of rain. Use the Formula: A = 2.41 G/R where catchment area, A (square feet), water stored, G (gallons), rainfall amount, R (inches)

Comment

Re: inches to gallons

yes i have a 275 gallon oil tank and i need to know how many gallons i have left in my tank at this time is there a way to chart the number of inches to number of gallons

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;4205]I have a fuel tank that 16" wide by 24"' long and 12"deep

Comment

[QUOTE=dougkimpton;85724]
                        Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        I have a fuel tank that 16" wide by 24"' long and 12"deep
                        16 in x 24 in x 12 in x 1 gallon/231 in³ = 19.95 gallons

Comment

might want to find someone that has a 3D modeling program such as Inventor or SolidWorks to draw up the model then extract what ever data you require from that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                          Working...
                          X

Debug Information