X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cubic yards to tons of pea gravel

I ordered (& paid for) 10 yds of pea gravel. Once delivered & spread, It only measured 6 yds. The guy at the rock yard told me it was 10 tons & that 1 ton equals 1 yd. I dont think that is right but I cant find the density of pea gravel anywhere. I thought 10 yds actually equalled about 15 tons of pea gravel. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Re: cubic yards to tons of pea gravel

Pea gravel will be lighter than gravel but I doubt that it is 1 to 1. It is probably around 2400 pounds per yard.

Comment

dry 1/4th to 2 gravel is about 105 pounds/cubic foot, or about 1.4 tons per cubic yard. So 10 cubic yards would be about 14 tons.

Not sure the density pea gravel though.

Any way you could weigh a specific volume of it? For example, fill a gallon milk jug full and weigh it, then we can calculate the density from that value.

Comment

One thing that nobody here seems to mention is that if you ordered 10 cubic yards, then it doesn't matter how much it weighs. If you order 10 cubic yards of neutrons (which would weigh something on the order of 7 x 10^14 tons), you should get 10 cubic yards. But, please, don't order any neutrons.

Comment

1yd = 1.3 ton

Comment

1 yds = 1.3tons is basically what is used in the construction industry as an average

Comment

I just spoke with a guy at a gravel pit who told me that pea gravel is 1 ton per 1.5yds. If the pea gravel he is talking about is not smaller in diameter than what you bought, you got ripped off.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                I just spoke with a guy at a gravel pit who told me that pea gravel is 1 ton per 1.5yds. If the pea gravel he is talking about is not smaller in diameter than what you bought, you got ripped off.
                One of two things happened . . . 1) you misunderstood him or 2) he's wrong. Pea gravel will weigh somewhere between 1.4 and 1.7 tons/loose yd3, depending on the base material and moisture content of the stockpile.

Comment

You also may have laid the gravel on thicker than normal.

Comment

(1) Cubic Yard of Pea Gravel actually = 1.16 Tons. So your (10) yard order would've been approx. 11.6 tons. If you have any other questions, feel free to give us a call:

Kirkwood Material Supply, Inc.
                    800 South Fillmore
                    Kirkwood, MO 63122
                    (314)822-9644
                    (314)677-6993

Feel free to ask for Adam

Comment

I work in the gravel industry.
                      1B (8's, also known as pea gravel) - 1.45 ton equals 1 yard
                      2B (57's) - 1.3 ton equals 1 yard
                      Sand - 1.25 ton equals 1 yard

We sell by the ton.

Comment

None of these answers account for a compaction factor. Does anyone know how much of the loose cubic yard is lost when compacted?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          None of these answers account for a compaction factor. Does anyone know how much of the loose cubic yard is lost when compacted?
                          Loose pea gravel will compact approximately 10% to 12%

Comment

Wickes sell 10mm pea gravel in their jumbo bags and say 850kg = 13 square metres spread at 50mm thickness

Comment

All of you are misunderstanding something. Cubic yards are a measurement of volume, not weight. The original poster stated that he ordered 10 yards, but once it was spread it only measured 6 yards. They only gave you 6 yards then. There are plenty of calculators online that tell you how much you need based upon the area. Weight has absolutely nothing to do with this...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X