X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an easy way to convert metric system

I hate the metric system, i always have since i can remember. But now i wish I'd learned it better, since now my daughter is doing it in 8 grade science. Help, can anyone give me an easy chart, a baby method of understanding?????????????????????????

much appreciated.
    Tracy

Re: Is there an easy way to convert metric system

You could always be lazy like me and use the conversion chart on the home page.

Comment

What do you need, exactly? Conversions within the metric systems(s) are easy enough. Do you mean converting customary measures to and from metric?

Comment

Originally posted by Leopold Plumtree
        What do you need, exactly? Conversions within the metric systems(s) are easy enough. Do you mean converting customary measures to and from metric?

on her homework, and i am assuming she will need to know how to do this in her head on tests, are conversions of:
        m to km
        L to kl
        L to ml
        g to kg
        cm to m
        m to mm
        km to m
        cl to dl
        g to hg
        mm to m
        dkl to l
        m to km
        mg to g
        mg to kg
        g to dg
        dkg to hg
        mm to dkm
        ml to hl
        etc, etc, etc, etc, etc..................................

Comment

Originally posted by futureGOODMIL
          on her homework, and i am assuming she will need to know how to do this in her head on tests, are conversions of:
          m to km
          L to kl
          L to ml
          g to kg
          cm to m
          m to mm
          km to m
          cl to dl
          g to hg
          mm to m
          dkl to l
          m to km
          mg to g
          mg to kg
          g to dg
          dkg to hg
          mm to dkm
          ml to hl
          The series, as best I can remember, starting with femto:

There are 1000 femto(f) in a pico(p)
          there are 1000 pico in a nano(n)
          there are 1000 nano in a micro()
          there are 1000 micro in a milli(m)
          there are 1000 milli in a single unit
          there are 1000 single units in a kilo(k)
          there are 1000 kilo in a mega(M)
          there are 1000 mega in a giga(G)

centi is a hundreth of something (c)
          deci is a tenth of something (d)
          hecta i always have to check on the conversion pages. Might be 10,000 of something. (h)

Unless they are doing senior science or maths - in which case, encourage her to read her text books - the metric system has units of:

length (meters) (also m)
          volume (litres and cubic merters) (sometimes lowercase l, but more correctly L)
          mass or weight (grams) (g)
          time (seconds) (s)
          temperature (degrees celcius) (C)

The volume and mass units are bases on the properties of water, and has a precise definiition.
          Basically, 1 mL of water at 4C weighs 1 gram.
          1mL is the same as 1 cubic centimeter.
          1L of water weighs 1kg.

Not sure how old your daughter is, but if she is over eight, I think she should be able to have a good go at these herself. Some of the units listed above are only used by school teachers to torture their students. No one would ever write 5dkL = 50L.

Would you like to put her replies here, and we can check them if she is still unsure?
          Last edited by Mrs X; 08-27-2007, 09:56 PM.

Comment

m to km
            L to kl
            L to ml
            g to kg
            cm to m
            m to mm
            km to m
            cl to dl
            g to hg
            mm to m
            dkl to l
            m to km
            mg to g
            mg to kg
            g to dg
            dkg to hg
            mm to dkm
            ml to hl
            As it is homework I would not allow her to use the auto-converter, but you can do it to check her work. Copy and paste each of the above lines in exactly as you have them there.

Comment

thanks guys,
              I'm sure we will be back for more help after the holidays.
              I am definately not smarter than an 8th grader, lol.
              Have a good weekend.

Comment

Just remember "King Henry Drank Diet Coke Monday"

K = kilo
                H = hecta
                D = deca
                UNIT
                D= deci
                C= centi
                M = milli

put your unit on the unit line.. as you move DOWN add a zero behind your unit number. as you move UP put a decimal in front of your unit number... add zeros in front of the unit number to fill places in front of the decimal.

Hope this helps.....

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Just remember "King Henry Drank Diet Coke Monday"

K = kilo
                  H = hecta
                  D = deca
                  UNIT
                  D= deci
                  C= centi
                  M = milli

put your unit on the unit line.. as you move DOWN add a zero behind your unit number. as you move UP put a decimal in front of your unit number... add zeros in front of the unit number to fill places in front of the decimal.

Hope this helps.....
                  These upper-case letters should all be lower-case. The case really, really matters for the metric system. For example m=milli and meters, M=Mega.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs X
                    These upper-case letters should all be lower-case. The case really, really matters for the metric system. For example m=milli and meters, M=Mega.
                    Agreed, and a second correction, "d" can't be the symbol for both deka- and deci-. "da" is the correct symbol for the deka- prefix. (spelled deca- in some countries)

Comment

m to km
                      L to kl
                      L to ml
                      g to kg
                      cm to m
                      m to mm
                      km to m
                      cl to dl
                      g to hg
                      mm to m
                      dkl to l
                      m to km
                      mg to g
                      mg to kg
                      g to dg
                      dkg to hg
                      mm to dkm
                      ml to hl
                      She has to memorize the prefixes, but they apply to any unit. This is much easier than customary where knowing there are 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 5.5 yards in a rod, 320 rods (or 1760 yards) in a mile does ABSOLUTELY nothing for you in converting ounces to pounds or tons, or fluid ounces to pints, quarts, gallons, furkins, barrels, etc. It doesn't even help in converting square feet to acres.

By the way, if dkl, dkg, etc appear in homework problems, whack the teacher upside the head. Compound prefixes are NOT allowed in the modern metric system, and the teacher should attend "remedial SI."

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS
                        She has to memorize the prefixes, but they apply to any unit. This is much easier than customary where knowing there are 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 5.5 yards in a rod, 320 rods (or 1760 yards) in a mile does ABSOLUTELY nothing for you in converting ounces to pounds or tons, or fluid ounces to pints, quarts, gallons, furkins, barrels, etc. It doesn't even help in converting square feet to acres.

By the way, if dkl, dkg, etc appear in homework problems, whack the teacher upside the head. Compound prefixes are NOT allowed in the modern metric system, and the teacher should attend "remedial SI."
                        "remedial SI" - :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Just as well I'd finished my coffee!

Is "cm" still allowed?

Comment

Is "cm" still allowed?
                          The best answer is "depends on who you ask."

deci-, deka-, centi-, and hecto- are "reluctantly" accepted in fields where they are already common, but new uses are discouraged. I'm not sure I agree with the "reluctant" part; some uses are quite, well, useful. But I think I agree with not expanding usage. The guys at the USMA site get all upset over them.

Centimeters are useful for human height, and human clothing measurements. The cubic decimeter is the definition a liter. The hectare is well established in agriculture. (I can't think of a "good" use of deka-.) However, none of these units are ever appended to electrical units for example.

On the other hand, engineering drawings almost universally avoid the centimeter, and use millimeters to rather large values, before they switch to meters, just to have a single units (typicallly dimensions under 100 m are in mm.)

Although the EU uses cL for measurement of spirits and wines, the US requires mL below 1 L, centiliter is NOT permitted as a unit for trade.

Comment

"remedial SI" - :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Just as well I'd finished my coffee!
                            I would be harsh on teachers because HOW they teach metric is important in what happens with malleable young children. Are they comfortable with it, to the point they would be the vanguard of the US being MORE metric in the future, or is another generation taught to hate it as teachers frighten young children with large numbers in stupid problems like how many naometers in a kilometer?

In many cases it is the latter.

Comment

How long has the metric system been taught in the US to school children? - I might put this as a question in the general chat forum at some stage, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X