X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting metric tons sand into cubic yards

I don't know if anyone can help me with this. I've search tons of websites but still can't find my answer.
    I have this company who buys 32000 metric tons limesand periodically. However they sell it back per cubic yard. They do not multipy or divide it with anything, they just assume metric ton is equal (or nearly same as) cubic yard. How can I convert this 32000 metric into cubic yards? The cargo ship has a stowage factor of 27 cuft/lt and the waterdensity is 1.023
    I don't know if this can help. Thanks in advance.

Re: Converting metric tons sand into cubic yards

Hi, the specific gravity of calcite (CaCO3) is about 2.7, but this is the rock version, not the sand, which may well be lighter.

If you assume the density or specific gravity is 2, then divide 32,000 by 2 to get the space occupied in cubic meters (16,000 cubic meters). This is equal to 20,927cubic yards. So, as long as the density of the limesand is greater than about 1.3, then you seem to be winning in the deal.

If you find out the weight for volume of your sand, then just divide 32000 by this number to give the volume in cubic meters. You can use these pages to convert from cubic meters to cubic yards. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

I found specific gravity data on the following:

Sand, wet 1.92
      Sand, wet, packed 2.08
      Sand, dry 1.60
      Sand, loose 1.44
      Sand, rammed 1.68
      Sand, water filled 1.92
      Limestone, pulverized 1.39
      Quartz sand 1.20

Comment

I work for an Excavating Company out of Northern Kentucky. Generally when converting Cubic Yards to Tons (2000lb), the multiplier is anywhere from 0.75 to 1.75 depending on your material. Limesand in particular is usually converted with 1.40 give or take 0.10 for the moisture content. Our company specializes in building professional horse jumping/riding rings for the Kentucky Horse Park and other personal clients. Limesand is cheap and easily available in this area and works excellent because it compacts well and seals water out.

32000 Metric Tons (Metric Ton = 2205) 2000/2205 = 0.91

32,000 x 0.91 = 29,120 lbs.

29,120 / 1.4 = 20,800 Cubic Yards

Comment

So if I have a straight tonnage of wood chips and wanted to convert it to yards I would do 2000/1.4?

Comment

Wood chips would have a much lighter density. I would think the number would be higher, about 5 cubic yards per ton.

Comment

1 cy = 1.8 tons. So converting from cy to tons involves multiplying by 1.8. From tons to cy involves dividing by 1.8.

I use this number at work all the time to estimate truck loads. A tractor trailer is about 20cy which corresponds to 36 tons. At the same time keep in mind voids so 1.8 is not exactly accurate but it's close.

Comment

figuring out yards

How do i figure out how many yards are in a trench if the trench is 4 feet wide 5 feet deep and 1500 feet long

Comment

Re: figuring out yards

Originally posted by C.D.Truckingt
                  How do i figure out how many yards are in a trench if the trench is 4 feet wide 5 feet deep and 1500 feet long
                  1111 yards

(4*5*1500)/27

Assuming a box-like shape.
                  Last edited by Leopold Plumtree; 08-09-2007, 12:24 PM.

Comment

then divide by 3

Comment

i need to know how many tons is in12,722cy

Comment

good data....thanks...

Comment

Working...
                        X