Volume of horizontal cylindrical tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Volume of horizontal cylindrical tank

Can anyone find me the correct formula of elliptical tank?
    Let say Major diameter 182 cms, minor diameter 120 cms and length 476 cm, depth 25 cm.
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by IFAN View Post
      Can anyone find me the correct formula of elliptical tank?
      Let say Major diameter 182 cms, minor diameter 120 cms and length 476 cm, depth 25 cm.
      Thanks
      See post 5 in this thread:
      http://forum.onlineconversion.com/sh...orizontal+tank

Note the last paragraph for elliptical tanks. Use Rv in the definition of s, and Rv and Rh in place of R for the "cylinder" portion. If you have flat end caps, use Rz = 0, but use Rh, Rv, and Rz in place of R

Divide your diameters in half, the R's are semi-diameters.

Comment

Re: Volume of horizontal octogan tank

Side = 100 cm
        L = 367 cm
        D = 245 cm
        Level = 150 cm

medium in tank are ceramic glaze in slop with a density of 1770 g/cm3

please help me getting total volume in kilogram of tank

thanx

Comment

Please assist us to mark the dip stick in lts for a cylindrical tank
          tank 1
          dia: 3.4 mts
          length 11.07 mts

tank 2
          dia 3.1mts
          length 9.75 mts

tank 3 dia 2.75 mts
          length 12.85 mts

Comment

Please check to

...maruzar.blogspot.com/2011/12/horizontal-cylindrical-tank-fluid.html
            there is an excel workbook with formula and table for liquid volume in horizontal cylindrical tank. You can put you own dimension of tank and your liquid depth. you can change unit of measurement also..

rgs

Comment

Re: Volume of horizontal elliptical tank

For horizontal elliptical tank which is partially or fully filled by liquid, please check to:

maruzar.blogspot.com/2011/12/partially-filled-horizontal-elliptical.html

there is an excel spreadsheet that includes formula, table, charts....you input your tank parameter

this ellips tank ussually mounted on a truck..
              it has advantage of ellips cross section which has top and bottom area smaller then center area.
              So it can drain all liquid, as ellips has smaller area at bottom..
              And if the level is not at correct full level, then volume discrepancy is not as big as square cross section tank...thanks to smaller area at top of ellips.

rgs

Comment

could you please tell me how you got the formula of the cylindrical tank..I am interested in the steps you followed to get it
                thank you

Comment

Originally posted by nessou ness View Post
                  could you please tell me how you got the formula of the cylindrical tank..I am interested in the steps you followed to get it
                  thank you
                  The volume is the area of the cross section times the length of the tank. When partially full, the cross section is the segment of a circle. There are various expressions for it in the CRC Standard Mathematical Tables.

Comment

Can explain how we can anaylsis this (acos(s)-(s*sqrt(1-s^2))) form the crical
                    to measure the volume I understand what mean acos2 it like arccos

If we put like this:

A=pi r^2 ( s-sins )

where s is angle

s= 2 arccos m/r

where m = r-h

h is the high from bottom

my equestion how we get S-sinS from the cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      Can explain how we can anaylsis this (acos(s)-(s*sqrt(1-s^2))) form the crical
                      to measure the volume I understand what mean acos2 it like arccos

If we put like this:

A=pi r^2 ( s-sins )

where s is angle

s= 2 arccos m/r

where m = r-h

h is the high from bottom

my equestion how we get S-sinS from the cycle.
                      I'm not sure what you are asking, but you have defined s differently than the original solution (see post #2), so the forms can't be made comparable. In the original form you quotes s = 1 -h/r, to use your notation (slightly different notation in post #2)

Comment

My Tank
                        Diameter = 102 inch
                        Length = 177.48 inch
                        Medium = High Speed Diesel

Please some one tell me the total volume in litres and dip stick measurement in inches ,

Comment

Can any one tell, how to calculate height of liquid in horizontal cylindrical tank, if liquid volume is given.

Calculation of volume from its height(level) is easy but cal. of height from volume is pretty complicated, it can only be solved by hit and trial, probably or by tools

Pls help, I need to formulate in equation.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                            Can any one tell, how to calculate height of liquid in horizontal cylindrical tank, if liquid volume is given.

Calculation of volume from its height(level) is easy but cal. of height from volume is pretty complicated, it can only be solved by hit and trial, probably or by tools

Pls help, I need to formulate in equation.

Regards
                            It can only be solved by iterative methods which are organized trial and error. You need to start with a plausible guess and then improve that guess. Newton's method works well. Please refer to the solution by Nakatsuka in post #2. Since the maximum volume of a cylinder is (Pi/4)*D*L, his equation can be written as
                            V/Vmax = (1/pi)*(arccos(s) - s*sqrt(1-s)), with s defined as he did.

Make a table of d/D, s, V/Vmax. I used increments of d/D of 0.01. For your fill V, calculate V/Vmax, enter the table backwards for the closest value of s. The table is normalized to fractional fill and fractional diameter so it can be used for any tank.

Now use Newton's method to find the root f(s) =0, where
                            f(s) = arccos(s) - s*sqrt(1-s) -pi*V/Vmax
                            f'(s) = -2*sqrt(1-s)
                            Form a new estimate of s = s - f(s)/f'(s).
                            This drives to the value of s for which f(s) = 0

Equivalently new s = s + [arccos(s) - s*sqrt(1-s) - pi*V/Vmax]/(2*sqrt(1-s))

Iteratively evaluate f, f', s until the change in s is negligible vs your accuracy need. Then d = 0.5 x D x (1-s)

Generally this converges well, but near empty and full, your initial guess needs to be pretty good. Your initial table should at least use 0.01 increments of d/D in the range 0-0.1 and 0.9-1. You could probably use 0.1 increments from 0.1-0.9

I strongly recommend a computer program or Excel spreadsheet as this is very tiresome to do on a calculator.

Edit: Starting value
                            The key to Newton's method is a reasonably good starting value. As an alternative to the table in the 2nd paragraph, the following starting values for s work well, based on the value of V/Vmax

For 0 =< V/Vmax <= 0.07
                            s = 1 - 1.4054*(V/Vmax)^(2/3)

For V/Vmax > 0.93
                            Proceed as above but with (1 - V/Vmax) in place of V/Vmax and reverse the sign of s.

for 0.07 =< V/Vmax <= 0.93
                            s = -1.5708*(V/Vmax-0.5) - 0.91*(V/Vmax-0.5)^3

Then proceed with Newton's method as in the third paragraph. Two or three iterations will generally suffice.
                            Last edited by JohnS; 01-25-2012, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Dear John i thought my dimensions were clear enough with measurement in meters.
                              I mean you being a conversionist, it should not be hard to calibrate 2.67meters diameter and 8.46meters length. To enable me measure per mm,cm etc and refer to a chart to give me actual volume in stock

Comment

Dear John i thought my dimensions were clear enough with measurement in meters.
                                I mean you being a conversionist, it should not be hard to calibrate 2.67meters diameter and 8.46meters length. To enable me measure per mm,cm etc and refer to a chart to give me actual volume in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X