Amps To Kilowatts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps To Kilowatts

How Do You Determine Kilowatts From Amps? I Have 288 Amps How Do You Determine How Many Kilowatts That Is?

Re: Amps To Kilowatts

What Voltage are you assuming?

The conversion of Amps to Watts is governed by the equation

Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1 amp * 110 volts = 110 watts

In your case I will assume 110 volts so:

288 * 110v = 31,680 volts

or

31.68 Kilowatts

Comment

You made an error in the reply that makes it confusing
      288A * 110V = 31,680 Watt

but 288A on a 110V grid is unlikely; I would expect it is 480V in a three phase grid; that makes it even more difficult :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        You made an error in the reply that makes it confusing
        288A * 110V = 31,680 Watt

but 288A on a 110V grid is unlikely; I would expect it is 480V in a three phase grid; that makes it even more difficult :-)
        That was just an example of the arithmetic.

Comment

How Do You Determine Kilowatts From Amps? I Have 400 Amps How Do You Determine How Many Kilowatts That Is?
          at 3phase 208volts

I Have 400 Amps How Do You Determine How Many Kilowatts That Is? at 3phase 208volts

Comment

400amps @ 3p208

400*(3*208)=249,600w

249,600/1000=249.6

Comment

Kilowatts to amps

i hav motor for machine 380 v /3 phas /30 kw i whant know how many amps this motor ned

Comment

Re: Kilowatts to amps

Originally posted by mohamed
                i hav motor for machine 380 v /3 phas /30 kw i whant know how many amps this motor ned
                The question is whether the 380 V is measured line to neutral or line to line. If it is line to line, then it is only 219 V line to neutral.

I will assume it is line to neutral
                30 kW/380 V = 78.9 A
                That is the sum of the three phase currents, each phase is 26.3 A, assuming the load is balanced.
                (It may need higher current during starting.)

Edit: It is actually more likely that it is 219 V line to neutral and 380 line to line.
                30 kW/219 V = 137 A, 45.7 A in each phase (assuming balanced load)
                Last edited by JohnS; 04-10-2009, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Re: Kilowatts to amps

Originally posted by JohnS
                  The question is whether the 380 V is measured line to neutral or line to line. If it is line to line, then it is only 219 V line to neutral.

I will assume it is line to neutral
                  30 kW/380 V = 78.9 A
                  That is the sum of the three phase currents, each phase is 26.3 A, assuming the load is balanced.
                  (It may need higher current during starting.)

Edit: It is actually more likely that it is 219 V line to neutral and 380 line to line.
                  30 kW/219 V = 137 A, 45.7 A in each phase (assuming balanced load)
                  A three phase induction motor would be running phase to phase (no neutral required). The calculation is: 30,000W/380V/1.73 (sqrt of 3) or45.58028441
                  Amps. That being said, overcurrent protection will have to be sized to carry momentary starting load of about 250%. This could be even higher in an application with large inertial loading. The calculation is assuming 100% efficiency as well, so you need to know if 30kW is the size of the motor or the consumption under load and divide the current figure by efficiency.

Note that the square root of the phasing is used as actual voltage (an hence current) in a three phase circuit is 120 electrical degrees apart so the actual currents peak 1/150 of a second apart in 50 Hz or 1/180 of a second at 60 Hz.

Motor name plate data should indicate FLA (full load amps) and LRA (locked rotor amps). Local code requirements or good engineering practice will dictate wire size and overcurrent protection.

Sounds like you are looking at wire in the #6 AWG range (~15 sq mm) with an increase in size of (~5 sq mm) for each 30m increase in length.

Of course that's looking at it from half a world away.
                  Last edited by MJWorner; 04-13-2009, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered111
                    400amps @ 3p208

400*(3*208)=249,600w

249,600/1000=249.6
                    That should be 400A x sq rt 3 (1.73) x 208V = 144,106.63 W or 144.1 kW.

You have to take the square root of the phases because they don't peak simultaneously but sequentially 1/180 of a second apart.

Comment

Originally posted by thesmartfisherman.com
                      That was just an example of the arithmetic.
                      8 amp@220volt what is kilowatt

Comment

8 amp@220volt what is kilowatt
                        8 A x 220 V x 1 kW/1000 W = 1.76 kW

Comment

Everyone in here forgot that to determine kW in 3 phase applications you must use the following formula:

V x A x 1.73 = W

So if you have a load of 30kW at 380V/3 Ph you would need to multiply volts times 1.73, then divide 30kW by the result.

380V x 1.73 = 657.4 30,000W/657.4 = 45.6A

If you do not use the three phase factor of 1.73 your calculation will be very incorrect, causing loss of equipment and/or personnel.

Comment

Here's a question ??
                            What materal would make the best solar colector material or film to cover 50 acres.

Comment

I am looking to put a capicitor on my a/c units how much will i sve per month if the follow are assumed.
                              3 phase 280 volt
                              when i do a ready on of a test unit i am saving 2 amps
                              my kilowatt per hour rate is .0983 from my utitlity bill the ac units run aproxiamatley 20 hours per day

here is my calculation did i do it right

amps(2) * 280 volts = volts 560 =kilo watts .56 * kwh cost of $.0983 =.055 * 22 hours a day * 30 days a month = $33.00 per month in savings

Comment

Working...
                              X