Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to convert Feet per Minute(FPM) to Hertz?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert Feet per Minute(FPM) to Hertz?

I want to get the relationship between hertz and fpm.

Re: How to convert Feet per Minute(FPM) to Hertz?

Hertz means one cycle per second.

I do not see a way to convert that directly to a unit of speed. You will need to describe your circumstances.

Comment

The situation is in a wood plant where a tenonor has different gap spacing
      for three lines. One line has 12" spacing another has 10" and the last has 8"
      spacings. The feet per minute to hertz ratio or relationship I guess would
      have to be based on the diameter of the sprocket to the motor speed which
      is being driven by an inverter.

The current machine in question was setup to have 100fpm = 60hz. I want to know if this is just simply getting the relationship of 1hz = 1.67fpm? by
      dividing 100 by 60. This machine has 8" spacings.

The other machine which has 10" spacing does not have a relationship like this since it was a machine that was modified in the plant.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Fogt
        Hertz means one cycle per second.

I do not see a way to convert that directly to a unit of speed. You will need to describe your circumstances.

Robert,

Please refer to the #3 Reply. This was meant for you and not a reply to myself.

Thanks,

Rich

Comment

If you know the diameter of the sprocket that drives the wood, first calculate the circumference.

circumference = Pi * diameter

So a 10 inch diameter wheel will have a 31.4 inch circumference. And at 1 hertz (once per second) the wheel will move 31.4 inches/second.

31.4 inches/second * 60 = 1884 inches/minute
          1884 inches/minute / 12 = 157 foot/minute

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Fogt
            If you know the diameter of the sprocket that drives the wood, first calculate the circumference.

circumference = Pi * diameter

So a 10 inch diameter wheel will have a 31.4 inch circumference. And at 1 hertz (once per second) the wheel will move 31.4 inches/second.

31.4 inches/second * 60 = 1884 inches/minute
            1884 inches/minute / 12 = 157 foot/minute
            Robert,

We have the diameter of the sprocket but we also have a gearbox attached to the motor that has a ratio of 34.45 on the nameplate but no output number. This will change the FPM

Comment

What is the Hertz? I better make sure that we are not talking about the frequency of the power supply.

Comment

The hertz will vary but nominally it is 60Hz. I just need the relationship between the two that also includes the gearbox. The hertz is variable by the use of an inverter to increase or decrease the speed of the chain. The motor is 1760RPM but the output is changed by the gearbox ratio of 34.45.

Comment

I couldn't come up with a direct relationship between hertz and speed for those circumstances.

If you know the RPM of the motor at each given hertz, and diameter of the sprocket, then the speed can be calculated.

Comment

I agree with the post before this one...

There is not a direct relationship, but when comparnig HZ to FPM in a wind tunnel (or duct) you can use the formula:

velocity = sqrt((Pressure*2)/density)

This then can be compared to the HZ that the pressure was taken at... this would be experimental data.

Comment

Working...
                    X