Pounds to Pints?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pounds to Pints?

Is there any way to convert a pound to a pint? Anyone know real quick? My husband just called from work and they need to know. Thank you for any help! He is calling back in a few minutes

Re: Pounds to Pints?

What is the substance in question? Is it beer?

A U.S. pint of beer is approximately 1 pound. In fact, in the U.S., a pint is nicknamed a pounder.

Comment

I read long ago that the British system was based on the weight of water, so that a one lb. weight was used by inspectors to see if the amount of water poured out of a one pint mug weighed one lb. (Apparently, some pub measuring mugs were built to retain some liquid as it was poured into the customers mug.) This is the reason for the similarity of names.

I've lost the source, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        I read long ago that the British system was based on the weight of water, so that a one lb. weight was used by inspectors to see if the amount of water poured out of a one pint mug weighed one lb. (Apparently, some pub measuring mugs were built to retain some liquid as it was poured into the customers mug.) This is the reason for the similarity of names.

I've lost the source, sorry
        An Imperial gallon is defined as 10 lb of water under specified conditions, thus an Imperial pint is 1.25 lb of water under those conditions

The US gallon is defined as 231 in³ but is about 8.34 lb of water, or 1.04 lb/pint. But other liquids may have different densites and therefore different weights per gallon or pint.

Comment

how many pints equal a pound

Comment

Working...
          X