X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mg/l to micromol concentration

I'm a geologist- working on some oceanic surface water concentrations, and having a bit of difficulty converting from mg/l to micromols.

I have the average abundaces of Fe, Si, N, and P in seawater in mg/l but would like to convert to micromol to compare them with other values I have.

Here are the numbers:
    Nitrogen: 11.5 mg/l (as N2, NO3, and NH4)(total amt in the ocean in tonnes: 1.50E13)

Silicon: 2 mg/l (as Si(OH)4) (total amt:2.64E12)

Phosphorus: 6E-2 mg/l (as HPO4, PO4, H2PO4) (total amt: 7.93E10)

Fe: 2.2E-5 mg/l (as Fe(OH)2, Fe(OH)4) (total amt: 2.9E7)

Thank so much for your help!

Re: mg/l to micromol concentration

Originally posted by ekgrem
    I'm a geologist- working on some oceanic surface water concentrations, and having a bit of difficulty converting from mg/l to micromols.

I have the average abundaces of Fe, Si, N, and P in seawater in mg/l but would like to convert to micromol to compare them with other values I have.

Here are the numbers:
    Nitrogen: 11.5 mg/l (as N2, NO3, and NH4)(total amt in the ocean in tonnes: 1.50E13)

Consult periodic table to look up atomic weight of each element, example nitrogen, 14.01 daltons. The molar mass is the number of grams numerically equal to the atomic or molecular weight (depending on what you are converting to moles). So nitrogen is 14.01 g/mol

11.5 mg/L x 1 mol/14.01 g = 0.821 mmol/L or 821 µmol/L. You may proceed thus for each element.

Comment

Originally posted by ekgrem

Here are the numbers:

Hi,

If I do this for the nitrogen, will you be able to try for the rest yourself?

Molar mass of nitrogen is 14grams per mol, or 14mg per millimol, or 14micrograms per micromol.

11.5mg per liter of Nitrogen, gives 11500/14 = 821micomolar solution.

Hope this helps.

Comment

How much is 1 mg/l of gibberlic acid equal to in micro moles ? Molecular Weight of gibberlic acid: 346.38

Please help

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          How much is 1 mg/l of gibberlic acid equal to in micro moles ? Molecular Weight of gibberlic acid: 346.38

Please help
          1 mg/L x 1 mol/346.38 g = 2.9 µmol/L

Comment

Re: cadmium chloride molecular weight

I'm a nutritionest- working on lab , and having a bit of difficulty converting from g/l to micromols.

I want to plate 10, 5, 2, 1, .5, .2, .1 micromoles of cadmium chloride in 250 microlitter wells of media

Comment

conversion of milligram to micromoles

i have 200milligram of one product how to convert this product into micromoles can you pease guide me sir.......

Comment

Re: conversion of milligram to micromoles

Originally posted by yathish View Post
                i have 200milligram of one product how to convert this product into micromoles can you pease guide me sir.......
                You have to identify the substance and determine its molar mass to convert between grams and moles.

Comment

Re: micromol to mg/L concentration

Hello Sir, Could you plz tell me what is the formula to convert 5.7 µmol to mg/L?? Thank you...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                  Working...
                  X