LPG kWh conversion confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPG kWh conversion confusion

I find reputable sites that say LPG is 11.xx kWh per litre, and others that say LPG is 12.xx per kg.

But one litre of LPG is about half a kg.

What is the correct conversion factor for LPG?

Re: LPG kWh conversion confusion

I don't know if I can post a link yet. My source is
    Hydrogen Analysis Research Center (apparently a section is US Dept. of Energy), Lower and Higher Heating Values of Fuels. See link at bottom of the page for source spreadsheet.
    http://hydrogen.pnl.gov/cocoon/morf/...canprint=false

Note: Higher Heating value assumes water vapor in exhaust is condensed and heat recovered, Lower Heating value assumes it isn't. Automotive manufacturers use LHV, not sure about furnace guys.

For propane (LPG):
    HHV = 50.152 MJ/kg
    LHV = 46.607 MJ/kg
    Density = 0.508 kg/L

Note: You used kWh. 1 kWh = 3.6 MJ (because there are 3600 s/h)

Comment

Thanks John. Seems no doubt that those reputable sites giving LPG at 11 or 12 kWh per litre are simply wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        Thanks John. Seems no doubt that those reputable sites giving LPG at 11 or 12 kWh per litre are simply wrong.
        These might be quite close, as LPG can contain varying amounts of ethane and butane, which will have differing values, too.

12kWh x 3.6 = 43MJ, which is close to the 46.6MJ JohnS gave for the lower heating value. These values can change a bit, as the temperature of the liquid will play a part, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs X
          These might be quite close, as LPG can contain varying amounts of ethane and butane, which will have differing values, too.

12kWh x 3.6 = 43MJ, which is close to the 46.6MJ JohnS gave for the lower heating value. These values can change a bit, as the temperature of the liquid will play a part, too.
          On the kWh/kg figure, I absolutely agree. Any better figure requires chemical analysis of the gas and accounting for the ethane, butane, etc. Based on litre spelling, I suspect OP is not in the US, but US LPG is mostly propane (95%). Some countries apparently approach 50% propane, 50% butane.

For the liter figure to be 11/12 of the kg figure, density has to be around 0.9 kg/L. Even liquid butane is around 0.57 kg/L, propane, 0.51 kg/L. As you point out, this density will vary with temperature. Density of hydrocarbon fuels is almost always stated at 60 degrees F (15.6 C), but the API jealously guards the volumetric expansion coefficients so they can sell books of figures to temperature adjust density.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            can you please share where do you find such data?

thanks

Comment

i want to know 1 kg of lpg gas tends to howmuch kwhr

Comment

Working...
              X