Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firewood measurement

What is a cord and rick fo firewood?

Re: firewood measurement

A cord is stacked firewood measuring 128 cubic feet, usually 8' long, 4' high, 4' wide.

A face cord is a stack 8' long by 4' high, by the length the logs are cut, usually 18-24". The volume is poorly defined and varies between suppliers.

No clue what a rick is.

Comment

a rick is 8feet long, 4feet high ,16inchs wide it is also reffered to as a face cord therefore a rick is 1/3 of a cord, or 43.5 cubic feet

Comment

I was raised (by my southern Indiana dad) to understand that a rick was a half-cord; 64 cu. ft. 8' x 4' x 2'.

A face cord is a third-cord; 8' x 4' x 16". (3 x 16" = 48")
        so three of these stacked next to each other are
        8' x 4' x 4', a cord.

Comment

Thank you everyone, JohnS I believe Your right on the answer. 8 feet long x 4 feet high x 18" to 24" depending on the suppiler. We need to ask before purchace. Thanks again LanceD Oklahoma City,Okla

Comment

what are the measurements to a half a cord of firewood

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              what are the measurements to a half a cord of firewood
              A cord is 128 ft³, usually taken as 4 ft x 4 ft x 8 ft. For a half cord, half ONE of those dimensions, for example 4 ft x 4ft x 4 ft.

Comment

I am a log scaler from Canada, and the fellow from Indiana was dead on with the cord wood measurement. In Canada we do log hauling and scaling in metric, so a 7 axle load of logs will net 49 to 52 m3 (cubic metres) 1 cord of wood = 3.624556416 m3.
                A 50 m3 load of logs = 14 cords of firewood, people here think they are getting 20 cords and more.
                1 cord = 128 cubic feet or 4'x4'x8' it is this way anywhere in the world.

Comment

I ordered 3 cords of wood. The guy made a partial delivery today. I stacked it and ended up with a row of wood 15' x 4' (closer to 3'11") by 18". How much wood was delivered?
                  Thanks

Comment

I ordered 3 cords of wood. The guy made a partial delivery today. I stacked it and ended up with a row of wood 15' x 4' (closer to 3'11") by 18". How much wood was delivered?
                    Thanks
                    18" = 1.5'
                    15' x 4' x 1.5' = 90 ft³
                    as 1 cord = 128 ft³ (8' x 4' x 4'), you have about 0.7 cord.
                    However, if he is selling you face cords (typically one-third of a cord) you have about two face cords.

Comment

I have an uncle who is well into his 80's and worked the woods for years. They were taught that when the wood is cut, split and stacked, one cord should measure 4 x 4 x 12. How many lumbermen can varify this?

Comment

I have an uncle who is well into his 80's and worked the woods for years. They were taught that when the wood is cut, split and stacked, one cord should measure 4 x 4 x 12. How many lumbermen can varify this?
                        U.S. Forestry Service says:
                        MEASURING AND HAULING FIREWOOD

Firewood is commonly measured in cords. A standard cord is the amount of tightly piled wood in a stack 4 feet wide and 4 feet high by 8 feet long. Hauling firewood in lengths greater than 8 feet must be approved first in writing at a Forest Service office.
                        http://www.fs.fed.us/outernet/ipnf/e...rest/firewood/

Comment

I am about 20 miles northeast of Nashville TN. In this area most people refer to a sellable measurement of firewood as a RICK of wood. Cord wood really isn't sold in this area. Who has a fireplace large enough to handle a 4ft stick of wood (besides Cracker Barrel)! The rule of thumb is a RICK is half a cord of wood. Therefore the cut stack of wood measures 8ft long 4ft high and 2ft wide. But most fireplaces these days are built to dimensions which the homeowner feels that a 2ft long stick of wood seems too crowded, so they prefer the firewood is about 18 inches long instead. So when you find a someone selling firewood you have to check the length they cut. Most are cutting according to experience of their typical customer requested length which (around here) runs around 16-18 inches. The price is based on the RICK being 8ft long and 4ft high. The length is not a consideration. You won't get the difference of the 16-18 to the standard 24 inches. If you chose to buy it 16-18 inches long that is what you get. Your not buying the length or cubic volume of the wood, your buying a stack 8 x 4 foot and that is understood. One thing you don't do is complain about the "loss" from the shorter sticks. Your likely to not get that person to sell wood to you anymore or next time you'll find the price went way up because they don't want your business anymore without you paying the price.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;43947]What is a cord and rick

A rick is 1/3 of a cord or measures 8' x 4' by 18".
                            8 feet long, 4 feet high and 18 inches deep or wide.

Comment

Thanks
                              You received approx. 90 cu.ft. did you ever get the additional 38 cu.ft. delivered to you?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X

Debug Information