• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert 1 tonne of wood into cubic metres

I wish to convert 1 tonne on wood into cubic metres

Re: convert 1 tonne of wood into cubic metres

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Well 1 t = 1000 kg. Just divide by the density.

Unfortunately the density of wood varies all over the place from 170 kg/m for balsa to 1320 kg/m for lignum vitae. Even common firewoods vary from about 500 - 1000 kg/m. So you have between 1 and 2 m of firewood probably, possibly wider variation with "odd" species.

See the link for density by species. Unless you know what you have, you can't make an accurate estimate.
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

Comment

You are totally wrong John ! one tonne wood is not about the weight, its about the volume. One tonne wood equals too 7200 inch3.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        You are totally wrong John ! one tonne wood is not about the weight, its about the volume. One tonne wood equals too 7200 inch3.
        You are thinking of cubic meter, lol.

With metric, the differentiation between weight and volume is quite strict. Tonne is weight, cubic meter is volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs X View Post
          You are thinking of cubic meter, lol.

With metric, the differentiation between weight and volume is quite strict. Tonne is weight, cubic meter is volume.
          I'm not sure what he is thinking as a cubic meter is 61023.74 in

Comment

"Wood people" have told me to use 35 pounds/cu. ft. as a default value for the density of wood used in construction.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
            Last edited by HerrWarum; 06-10-2011, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I think it is a wind-up. There seems to be a spate of threads from the dark ages that are being pulled up with some smart comment on them.

Comment

i been trying to figure this out for the longest time and as best as i can explain

im trying to buy teak and instead of charging by the volume or m3 they price by tonne?? cannot be ton as 1 ton as spelled equals 1000kg

they calculate tonne as follows height (in inches) x width (in inches) x lenght (in feet)

strange right?

i was quoted price for 1 tonne of grade a teak at 21500 ringgit malaysia

i asked for 1 block of teak 6in high x 12 wide x 8 ft long, his calculation came out to o.o8 tonne using 6x12x8/7200

price was 1720

i went to 3 lumber yards and they all calculated this way.

how u can mix inches and feet and come up with a value beats me.

anyhow, using above size i can calculate volune in cubic feet or even m3 and work backwards to get what is m3 price for my wood

i wonder if the 7200 constant is for all wood or teak only? wonder if this 7200 was derived from specific gravity of teak somehow

lots of question still but now i know how to calculate tonne pricing for teak

hope this answers someones question

Comment

Originally posted by giorgio View Post
                  i been trying to figure this out for the longest time and as best as i can explain

im trying to buy teak and instead of charging by the volume or m3 they price by tonne?? cannot be ton as 1 ton as spelled equals 1000kg

they calculate tonne as follows height (in inches) x width (in inches) x lenght (in feet)

strange right?

i was quoted price for 1 tonne of grade a teak at 21500 ringgit malaysia

i asked for 1 block of teak 6in high x 12 wide x 8 ft long, his calculation came out to o.o8 tonne using 6x12x8/7200

price was 1720

i went to 3 lumber yards and they all calculated this way.

how u can mix inches and feet and come up with a value beats me.

anyhow, using above size i can calculate volune in cubic feet or even m3 and work backwards to get what is m3 price for my wood

i wonder if the 7200 constant is for all wood or teak only? wonder if this 7200 was derived from specific gravity of teak somehow

lots of question still but now i know how to calculate tonne pricing for teak

hope this answers someones question
                  Tonne is the common spelling in the rest of the world for what the US calls a "metric ton," 1000 kg. The density of teak ranges from 630- 720 kg/m according to one website. I don't doubt the ability of an unscrupulous seller to rename and misuse a unit, but a tonne is 1000 kg.

Here are a couple of sources showing price per cubic meter (metre):
                  http://www.panamaforestry.com/GTI_Te...ng_of_Teak.htm

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...hOlDbcQcQ5aLew

Comment

Please convert 1 tonne of wood into cubic metres.

Comment

1 ton of teak is approx 1.42 cubic meter.

other woods will differ depending on how heavy/dense it is. which is why you can refer to specific gravity chart given earlier

Comment

convert 1 tonne on wood into cubic metres

Comment

I work for a company that writes software for logging companies. The conversion of tonnes to cubic metres is quite complex. As well as different species having different densities, you also have to consider the moisture content of wood. The higher the moisture content, the heavier the wood. Sometimes the moisture held in the wood can be 50% or more of the weight. This can vary depending on weather and how long the wood has been sitting around before being weighed.

Most companies do sampling to find out the moisture content and then run this measurement through standard tables that have a conversion for a certain species. Only then can the conversion between mass (kg & tonne are a measure of mass rather than weight) and volume be done.

Comment

depends what wood u use, wood is taken as 530kg for a cubic metar. so 1t would be almost 2 cubic metars. for Pine tree....

Comment

I'd like to know roughly the converstion of 1 tonne of iron bark cut firewood in cubic mts ?

Comment

Working...
                              X