X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert mg/dl to micromoles

Can someone tell me how to convert alpha 1 antitrypsin in mg/dl to micromoles?

Re: convert mg/dl to micromoles

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Can someone tell me how to convert alpha 1 antitrypsin in mg/dl to micromoles?
    The mg/dl gives you the strength of a solution, but you need to decide what volume to determine the total number of milligrams.

You also need the molecular weight of the molecule, which will also be the molar mass, in grams per mole.

If you just divide the mg/dL figure by molecular weight, you will get mmol/dL.

Comment

(g/vol(L)/52000)*10^6 = alpha 1 in micromolar

Comment

Can anyone tell us how to convert micromoles to mg/dL with alpha 1 antitrypsin?
        Is there a chart that provides all the units of measure the labs use for measuring alpha 1 anitrypsin?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Can anyone tell us how to convert micromoles to mg/dL with alpha 1 antitrypsin?
          Is there a chart that provides all the units of measure the labs use for measuring alpha 1 anitrypsin?
          After further checking, you probably mean micromoles per liter, as that seems to be the SI units used. The deciliter to liter is easy. To convert between grams and moles you need to know the molar mass (numerically equal to molecular weight).

Wikipedia states the molar mass with great precision as 44324.5 g/mol. Unfortunately, it is a very complex molecule and seems to exist in more than one form. Various articles claim various molecular weights from 44 - 54 kDa
          (44 - 54 kg/mol) with Wikipedia near the low end.

The journal of the AMA suggests multiplying g/dL by 0.184 for µmol/L (MW ~ 54 kDa). The Wikipedia value would give a multiplier of 0.226. 52 kDa seems to be another commonly referenced MW and it would give 0.192 as a multiplier.

To go the other way, divide instead of multiply. However, I have no way of determining which of the above factors is correct. I would lean toward the JAMA value, after all, they are the doctors.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
          Working...
          X