Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculating TV width/height, based on diagonal length?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating TV width/height, based on diagonal length?

Widescreen (16:9) and 4:3 TVs will have a different formula. The manufacturers cheat and tell you the diagonal length, to make the number look bigger, but how do you figure out the width/height with the diagonal length?

That should get added to the list of conversions.

Re: Calculating TV width/height, based on diagonal length?

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Widescreen (16:9) and 4:3 TVs will have a different formula. The manufacturers cheat and tell you the diagonal length, to make the number look bigger, but how do you figure out the width/height with the diagonal length?

That should get added to the list of conversions.
    For a 4:3 tv, the height:width:diagonal are in the ratio 3:4:5. So the height is 3/5 x the diagonal, and width 4/5
    (or 60% and 80%).

For a 16:9 tv, the ratio is 9:16:sqrt(337). Height is 9*diag/sqrt(337), width is 16*diag/sqrt(337), or about 49% and 87% of diagonal.

Comment

nice work thanks

Comment

diagonal is 25, height is 15, width?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          diagonal is 25, height is 15, width?
          20" as explained in post 2.

Comment

nice job, finally i got it, but honestly the 16:9 not so much, i guess i can find the % given but i want to know how u derive at the % , if u don't mind
            tks

Comment

The diagonal squared is equal to the sum of the sides squared. From the 16:9 ratio, I computed the diagonal, and refigured each side to the diagonal as a ratio. If the sides are 9 and 16, the diagonal is sqrt(337) = 18.3576

Comment

This is pythagorean theorem: The sum of the sides squared is equal to the diagonal squared

Comment

You take both sides 3 and 4 and use arctan to get the angles that are not 90deg. Repeat the process with the 16 and 9. Then use the law of sines to get that the W*0.85=SD. Where W is the widescreen diagonal and SD is the 3:4 diagonal measurement.

Comment

My teacher gave me a worksheet that says ''Going to the mtric lengths''.And im on number 2 it says what is the height of the tv.i have no idea and it doesnt tell us what kind of tv it is.im really confused on it.who can help me on this!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ez breezy View Post
                      My teacher gave me a worksheet that says ''Going to the mtric lengths''.And im on number 2 it says what is the height of the tv.i have no idea and it doesnt tell us what kind of tv it is.im really confused on it.who can help me on this!!!!!
                      You'll need to give us more information. Type out the complete question.

Comment

A television screen measures approx. 18.5 in. high and just over 26 in. wide.
                        How should the size of this television be advertised?

My question is how do I figure this problem out? I have tried to add or divide but it does not make sense to me! Please help

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          A television screen measures approx. 18.5 in. high and just over 26 in. wide.
                          How should the size of this television be advertised?

My question is how do I figure this problem out? I have tried to add or divide but it does not make sense to me! Please help
                          Hint, hint: A guy named Pythagoras has a theorem about this very subject, even though TVs didn't exist in his time, only triangles.

Comment

Let d = diagonal, l = length, w = width. Let AR = l/w. AR = 16/9 = 1.78 for a wide screen.
                            We are given d. We want to compute l and w. Below ** means exponential, * means times, and SQRT means square root.

Solution:
                            l = AR * w
                            d**2 = l**2 + w**2 (Pythagorus). Substituting

d**2 = (AR**2) * (w**2) + w**2 = (AR**2 + 1) * w**2. So,
                            w**2 = d**2/(AR**2 + 1). So the general formula is

w = = d/(SQRT(AR**2 + 1)
                            l = AR * w.

For the wide screen AR = 1.78. So
                            w =.49 * d
                            l =.87 * d

For standard screen, do the math for the appropriate AR.

Comment

Re: Calculating horizontal linearity width in %?

How i can measure horizontal width linearity % in a color television by using chroma pattern generator?

Comment

Working...
                              X