Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting pg/ml to ng/dl

Hi,

I want to convert 122.3 pg/ml to ng/dl.

This will help me compare my results that i got this time to the ones last time.

and will the formula be different for different types of tests i.e. different hormones, or it will be same for all?

Re: converting pg/ml to ng/dl

Originally posted by bring_it_on
    Hi,

This will help me compare my results that i got this time to the ones last time.

and will the formula be different for different types of tests i.e. different hormones, or it will be same for all?
    It will always be the same conversion (unlike grams to moles)

122.3 pg/mL = 122.3 ng/L (scale both units by 1000)
    122.3 ng/L x 1L/10 dL = 12.23 ng/dL

By breaking into these two steps, you can do in your head without writing down.

Comment

thanks for the reply John, but that dont make sense. I am not saying your calculation doesnt make sense but then 12 ng/dl would not make sense for my saliva test results.

Can you do me a favour, can you convert the 122.3 pg/ml to nmol/L

Comment

To convert from grams to moles (regardless of any prefix) it is necessary to know the molar mass, or molecular weight, expressed in grams per mole. That can either be looked up in a reference or computed from the chemical formula and a periodic table.

That quantity will be specific to the substance. Since you didn't identify it, I can't convert it.

Comment

Its Testosterone. I have looked up on other sites and all of them only let you convert from ng/dl to nmol/l or nmol/L to ng/dl. None of them give you an opportunity to convert testosterone in pg/ml to ng/dl. Also, another thing i have noticed is that each hormone/vitamin/substance has unique figure that you have to multiple/divide to convert even though the format is same. For example testosterone unit: 1 ng/dl = 0.034 nmole/L
          DHT: 1 ng/dl = 0.0308 nmole/L

confusing!!! because my testosterone last time came out as 700 ng/dl was in normal range, this time it has come out of normal range and is very high. so it cant be 10 ng/dl. you understand?
          Last edited by bring_it_on; 03-02-2008, 04:55 AM.

Comment

OK, I have ZERO medical training, so my responses are limited to conversions I can make with a general knowledge of chemistry. Is it possible there is a comparability issue here? DHT is a metabolic product of testosterone, and they are related but are not the same thing. There are different tests for them. Also there are different "normal" results for DHT tests using blood serum and using saliva.

In particular, a saliva test product stated normal was 2 - 10 pg/mL. Another page indicated serum DHT result normals were 30 - 100 ng/mL (30,000 - 100,000 pg/mL, a huge difference.)

DHT has a molecular weight or molar mass of 290.440 g/mol. This factor must be used to convert gram-based results to mole-based results. Secondly, the use of prefixes and particularly of milliliter, deciliter and liter seems designed to obscure the issue ( 1 L = 10 dL = 1000 mL).

You asked specifically for conversion of 122.3 pg/mL to nmol/L:
            Again scaling both units by 1000, 122.3 pg/mL = 122.3 ng/L. Then 122.3 ng/L x 1 mol/290.44 g = 0.42 nmol/L.

As to interpretation, this would be low for a serum level, high for a saliva level. You may need to discuss with your doctor. My understanding of "normal" here is limited to what I find in Google. As to the mechanics of conversion, I'm pretty sure I have that right. However, Mrs. X is a chemist; perhaps she will wander through this thread and could check my conversion.

Comment

ng to pg is a factor of 1000 (to get ng divide pg by 1000, to get pg multiply ng by 1000)

dL to mL is a factor of 100 (to get dL divide mL by 10, to get mL multiply dL by 10)

In the end you can see that what you need to do is divide by 10 to get pg/ml into ng/dl, and multiply by 10 to get ng/dl into ph/ml.

This is always true as the only difference in the measurements is scaling.
              FYI I do research involving mouse testosterone, so am very familiar with having to make these 2 conversions.

Comment

You asked originally:

A pg or picogram is 1/1000 of a nanogram. Therefore 122.3 pg/ml would be 0.1223 ng/ml.

ng/dl means ng per 100 ml. Therefore to convert 0.1223 ng/ml to ng/dl you would multiply by 100 to get 12.23 ng/dl. That is a very low level of testosterone and would be considered a castrate level. You may have gotten your units mixed up.

To convert 12.23 ng/dl to nM/L (nanomoles per Liter) the conversion involves multiplying ng/dl number by 0.0347. In your case that would result in a value of: 0.42 nM/L.

Comment

Re: converting ng/dl to percent??

If someone has a blood ethanol level of .275 ng/dL, what does that calculate to in percentage??? HELP please!!!
                  [link removed]

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Strum, MD View Post
                    You asked originally:

A pg or picogram is 1/1000 of a nanogram. Therefore 122.3 pg/ml would be 0.1223 ng/ml.

ng/dl means ng per 100 ml. Therefore to convert 0.1223 ng/ml to ng/dl you would multiply by 100 to get 12.23 ng/dl. That is a very low level of testosterone and would be considered a castrate level. You may have gotten your units mixed up.

To convert 12.23 ng/dl to nM/L (nanomoles per Liter) the conversion involves multiplying ng/dl number by 0.0347. In your case that would result in a value of: 0.42 nM/L.
                    I think the previous poster was correct. To convert pg/mL to ng/dL, you multiply by 10, and for ng/dL to pg/mL divide by 10. Your testosterone level in ng/dL would be 1,223 ng/dL. It's within normal range, which is 600-1250 ng/dL, albeit on the high side.

Comment

Dr Strum was right. Either the info was incorrect or there was a lab accident or the person has a very low testosterone level.

ng/dL x10 = pg/mL
                      pg/mL divided by 10 = ng/dL

because there are 1000pg/ng and 100ml/dL
                      the units must be arranged to cancel out the original unit and leave only the desired units.

122.3pg ng 100ml
                      ---------- x ----------- x ----------- = 12.23 ng/dl
                      ml 1000pg dl

Comment

converting pg/ml in pmol/l ?

hello

someone could help me converting converting pg/ml in pmol/l , please??

thank you!

Comment

Re: converting pg/ml in pmol/l ?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          hello

someone could help me converting converting pg/ml in pmol/l , please??

thank you!
                          It is substance specific. You need to know what the substance is and it's chemical formul;a so you can compute molecular weight (or just know the molecular weight). That is numerically equal to the molar mass in grams per moles. Without that you can't make the basic conversion between grams and moles.

The rest is just prefix manipulation.

Comment

The last person posting has it backwords.

Converting picograms (pg)/milliliters (ml) pg/ml - to nanograms (ng)/deciliters (dl) ng/dl:

A picogram (pg) is 1/1000th of a nanogram (ng).
                            Therefore we first convert the picogram to nanogram by dividing the pg/ml by 1000 to get ng/ml.
                            Then, since ng/dl means ng per 100 milliliters (ml), we multiply the ng/ml by 100.
                            The result will be the ng/dl.

(Short version: divide pg/ml by 10 to get ng/dl)

Comment

Re: converting ng/dl into nmol/ml

how can i convert ng/dl into nmol/ml for SHBG?

Comment

Working...
                              X