X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMBTU to PPH

I am working on a project for steam savings. My steam cost is 8.0013/mmbtu, I need to calculate what my cost is per 1000pph.

Also if you could give me some pointers on figuring electricity savings that would be great also.

I really appreciate your help!!

Re: MMBTU to PPH

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I am working on a project for steam savings. My steam cost is 8.0013/mmbtu, I need to calculate what my cost is per 1000pph.

Also if you could give me some pointers on figuring electricity savings that would be great also.

I really appreciate your help!!
    Is pph pounds per hour? Also are you producing steam or using it? - either way, you might need to know the temperatures (start and end) and pressures. - This is by no means a simple question.

Comment

I am using 150# saturated steam in my process. Don't have a chart handy but I think it is 354degf, or somewhere close to that. I am doing a project that will potentially cut about 2,000,000 pounds of steam per month.

I pay for my steam in mmbtu, and I am not asure how to convert that to pounds so I can calculate the savings.'

I appreciate the help.

Comment

I've never seen a steam contract and don't know how they are written. However, I would recommend looking at the contract as it may include the necessary factors. Or, speak to your steam supplier.

Do you return the steam at lower pressure/temperature (or condensed water)? The factor for BTU/lb should be the specific enthalpy of the steam as supplied, less the specific enthalpy as returned (if returned). This can be found in Steam Tables. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about steam calculations, and can't help much more than that.

Comment

Lbs Steam delivered per Hour
          Large boiler capacities are often given in lbs of steam evaporated per hour under specified steam conditions.

BTU - British Thermal Units
          Since the amount of steam delivered varies with temperature and pressure, a common expression of the boiler capacity is the heat transferred over time expressed as British Thermal Units per hour. A boilers capacity is usually expressed as kBtu/hour (1000 Btu/hour) and can be calculated as

W = (hg - hf) m (1)

where

W = boiler capacity (Btu/h)

hg = enthalpy steam (Btu/lb)

hf = enthalpy condensate (Btu/lb)

m = steam evaporated (lb/h)

Boiler Horsepower - BHP
          The Boiler Horsepower (BHP) is the amount of energy required to produce 34.5 pounds of steam per hour at a pressure and temperature of 0 Psig and 212 ?F, with feedwater at 0 Psig and 212 ?F. An BHP is equivalent to 33,475 BTU/Hr or 8430 Kcal/Hr and it should be noted that a boiler horsepower is 13.1547 times a normal horsepower.

Horsepower (hp) can be converted into lbs of steam by multiplying hp with 34.5.

Example

200 hp x 34.5 = 6900 lbs of steam per hour

Lbs of steam can be converted to hp by dividing lbs steam per hour by 34.5

Example

5000 lbs of steam / 34.5 = 145 hp boiler

Comment

1 MMBTU is essentially equal to 1,000 pph of steam and if your cost of steam is $8.00 per MMBTU is $8.00 per thousand pounds of steam generated

Comment

I keep seeing the reference to 1,000 pph = 1 MMBTU, but I don't understand how this can be with varying steam temperatures and pressures. Won't 1,000 lbs of 270 psi steam have more energy than 1,000 lbs of 135 psi steam?

Thanks,

Jack

Comment

This may help
                http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner...team&sa=Search

Comment

Thank you. I see that the answer is yes, it has slightly more energy, but in practical terms, the pressure doesn't matter much.

Comment

what is PPH mean?

Comment

PPH = pounds per hour
                      Many boilers are rated in PPH or KPPH (1000 pounds per hour) of steam output from the boiler

Comment

I undrstand the OP was 4 years ago but didn't see any specific answer so i'll take a crack at it.

Assuming boilers are constantly operating at 150 psi, from the steam tables @ 150 PSI the total heat = 1196 BTU/LB

1000 LB/HR * 1196 BTU/LB = 1,196,000 BTU/HR * (1 mmBTU/1,000,000 BTU) = 1.196 mmBTU/HR

1.196 mmBTU/HR * 8.0013 $/mmBTU = $9.5696/HR or $9.57 per 1000 LB/HR of steam.

Using a 30 day average per month and assuming a decrease of 2,000,000 LB/Month:

2,000,000 LB/Month * (1 Month/30 Days) * (1 Day/24 Hrs) = ~ 2778 LB/HR

2778 LB/HR * (1 HR/$9.57) = 290.28 LB/$

(2,000,000 LB/Month) / (290.28 LB/$) = $6889.90 per Month

If my calculations are correct, you should be saving ~ $6900 a month by decreasing your monthly steam usage by 2,000,000 LBs.

This does not take into account any fuel used to produce the steam and would also need to be incorporated into the cost.

Comment

This is SIMPLE.

Find out how many Btu's in each pound of steam. It will be somewhere between 1200-1400 Btu's per pound (approximate). Find this by looking in the steam tables referencing your steam pressure and temperature. You'll need to know if it's superheated or saturated as well to look up the numbers in the proper section of the tables.

Now divide your cost per MMBtu to find how much you pay for 1 Btu, which would be $8.00/1000000 or $0.000008 per Btu

Next multiply that number which is the cost per each Btu times the amount of Btu's in your 1 pound of steam. You now have your cost per pound of steam.

Multiply by 1000 to figure your cost per thousand pounds of steam.

Comment

Pounds Per Hour. But are the pounds of steam the same as the pounds of water that made the steam?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                              Pounds Per Hour. But are the pounds of steam the same as the pounds of water that made the steam?
                              Yes, the mass is the same. The steam obviously expands and occupies a larger volume.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X