Convert Tons to Cubic Yards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Convert Tons to Cubic Yards

The answer to all your questions is call the quary and ask for the Unit Weight of the product. Once you have the unit weight (lbs/ft3) multiply by the amount of ft^3 you need which is length x width x height and this will tell you how many pounds you need. Then ther are 2000 lbs in a ton so divide by 2000 to get tons. If you know your cubic feet to convert to cubic yards divide by 27 since there are 27ft^3 in a yd^3. Hence 3'x3'x3'=27ft^3. or 1cy

Comment

i was having the same problem and my boss told me that 2tons = 1 cubic yard so for example: 43tons = 21.5 cy.

Comment

pending on the specific gravity of the asphalt at @ 2.35
        1.98 tons of asphalt per cubic yard
        so 1 ton = @ 1/2 a cubic yard

Comment

Stone density differs from depending on the area, call your quarry where you are getting the rock from and they can tell you the diff. max dry density's for diff stone. In general 57's is 1.9 Ton/CY since it's washed stone.

Ashpalt is 2.14TN/CY so your answer is in Tons divide that by 2.14 and you get CY

Comment

I am unregistered, but#6 reply is way wrong. there are 27 cubic ft in a yard,so you would times your 1' square by 27, not 9. the 1.35 is a good compromise for most rock material, I am a general contractor who moves a lot of dirt. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              just weigh 1 cubic foot of your stone. 1ft x 1ft x 1ft.Then multiply that weight by 9....that is how much 1 cubic yard weighs
              it should be x 27 not 9

Comment

1 poster says 1.89 TN/CY for Asphalt and another poster says 2.14 TN/CY for Asphalt...

so I guess an average value of 1.89+2.14/2 = 2.06 TN/CY for Asphalt would be "Close" enough?

Is the conversion variance the truck load transport vs. the rolled in place conditions?

Comment

I pay to contractor at 156#/CF for asphalt that is (156/2000)*27=2.106ton/cy

Comment

I have 795.46 tons of 6" filter blanket material to spread 6 " think how many square yards will that cover. can you please show the math

Comment

What is the unit weight (lb/cf) of pumice aggegate (5-8 mm in diameter)? Ultimately, I need to convert 31 cubic yards into tons.

Comment

Originally posted by Estimator Dude View Post
                        I have a sub contractor who placed asphalt pavement for me and he invoiced by the ton. The Architect pays by the Cubic Yard. We placed 423.36 tons of type I asphalt 1 1/2" thick. We placed 641.64 tons of Type II asphalt 2 1/2" thick. Please, Please tell me how to make this conversion. I really need to understand so I can address this in the future too. Thanks
                        you need to know how much area you have covered. we can work through it backwards. 423.26 tons x 2000 lbs/ton/165lbs per syd = approximately 5130.42 syds of pavement
                        1 1/2" = 165#/syd
                        1"= 110#/syd
                        one cubic yard of compacted asphalt weighs approximately 3000 lbs
                        423.36 tons x 2000lbs= 846520 lbs of product
                        846520/3000 lbs
                        282.17 cubic yards +/-
                        Architect is not very well versed in the laying of asphalt it seems. Ive been in the business for over 30 years and have never been paid by the cubic yard. Square yard maybe. Hope this helps

Comment

how do I get weight of limestone for ordering riprap. 6" sphere-12"sphere 18"sphere 24"sphere 30"sphere 36" sphere 42"sphere what would be a good formular to use.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonontop View Post
                            how do I get weight of limestone for ordering riprap. 6" sphere-12"sphere 18"sphere 24"sphere 30"sphere 36" sphere 42"sphere what would be a good formular to use.
                            "Sphere" wouldn't be the term that I would use, as in the normal sense, rip-rap is large irregular shaped pieces of broken rock. Spheres, such as marbles, can be placed to get the air voids to around 26%, whereas rip-rap will have voids in the range of 40 to 50%, depending on the size uniformity and angular shapes.

Depending on the limestone, solid rock will be in the range of 2350 to 2850 kg/m3. At 40% voids, using an average density of 2600 kg/m3 for solid limestone, it would weigh approximately 1560 kg/m3 (2630 lb/yd3). However, in the real world, you're probably not going to know the density of the material a sand and gravel pit uses.

In estimating, you should err on the heavier side. To be safe, call local sand and gravel pits and use the weights (and prices) they publish for their rip-rap.

Comment

I have a sub contractor who placed asphalt pavement for me and he invoiced by the ton. The Architect pays by the Cubic Yard. We placed 423.36 tons of type I asphalt 1 1/2" thick. We placed 641.64 tons of Type II asphalt 2 1/2" thick.

HMA is about 150lbs/cf; or 150*27 = 4050 lbs
                              423.36 tons x (2000lbs/1 ton) x (1cf/150lbs) x (1 cy/27cf)= 423.36x2000/150/27= 209.07CY
                              641.64 tons x (2000lbs/1 ton) x (1cf/150lbs) x (1 cy/27cf)= 641.64x2000/150/27=316.86 CY

We usually use the term 0.056 tons/sy/inch to figure out the tonage say your lot was 250'x 180' ... 250x180x(1/9)sy x.056 at 1.5" deep = 420tons, 250x180x(1/9)sy x.056 at 2.5" deep = 700 tons.

Try working backward to check how much was paved approx. at the depths 423.36/.056/1.5 =5040 SY, or 641.64/0.056/2.5=4583 SY these should match up if the areas, depths and compaction was perfect.

Comment

Converting tons to cubic yards: lotsa realy involved answers...it's simple, actually. Divide 2,000lbs by your unit weight of material in lbs/cf (you already have to know this, and unit weight already accounts for voids, if aggregate) - this will give you cubic feet. Divide that by 27cf/cy and you get cubic yards. That's it.
                                symbolically: (2,000lb)/(unitweight, lb/cf)/(27cf/cy)

Comment

Working...
                                X