X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Tons to Cubic Yards

I have a sub contractor who placed asphalt pavement for me and he invoiced by the ton. The Architect pays by the Cubic Yard. We placed 423.36 tons of type I asphalt 1 1/2" thick. We placed 641.64 tons of Type II asphalt 2 1/2" thick. Please, Please tell me how to make this conversion. I really need to understand so I can address this in the future too. Thanks

Re: Convert Tons to Cubic Yards

You need to know the density.

I found data on crushed asphalt, but I do not know what is meant by type I and type II asphalt.

Comment

I have 11 tons of asphalt but our specs say we need so many cubic yards of asphalt how do I convert it to cubic yards?

Comment

You need to know the length and width (or the area), in addition to the thickness.

length in yards * width in yards * thickness in yards = cubic yards

area in square yards * thickness in yards = cubic yards

Comment

I'm a new superintedant for a construction company. I have a similar question, but I'm trying to convert #57 stone from cubic yards to tons. This information would help me for many years I am sure. Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

just weigh 1 cubic foot of your stone. 1ft x 1ft x 1ft.Then multiply that weight by 9....that is how much 1 cubic yard weighs

Comment

I tried searching for the density of #57 stone but came up empty. You may have to weigh a known amount and use that for the density.

Though it doesn't have to be as much as a cubic foot. If its a gravel type rock then just fill up any known volume, such as a gallon milk jug. You'd get the weight/gallon density which can be converted to pounds/cubic yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                just weigh 1 cubic foot of your stone. 1ft x 1ft x 1ft.Then multiply that weight by 9....that is how much 1 cubic yard weighs
                ? MULTIPLY BY 27 (27 CUBIC FT IN A CUBIC YARD)

Comment

1 cubic yard = 1.35 tons (approx.)

Therefore, 1 ton = 0.7407 cubic yards.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Nice info unregistered but where did you find the reference? I will use the 1.35 tons figure in my stone calculations but I am searching for a general reference that gives figures for other stone sizes as well. Let me know if you find it thanks, Sonny.

Comment

? MULTIPLY BY 27 (27 CUBIC FT IN A CUBIC YARD)

If you have crushed stone it's not quite as simple as that. Depending upon the stone size there is a considerable void volume. In smaller crushed stone, say 1 inch size, the volume of the voids is lower (about 25%) than in larger stone where a cubic yard of 6" stone may have a volume of voids of 35%.

Therefore, with a solid stone of granite that has a weight of 165 lbs per cu ft., the voids are equal to about 40 lbs (25% of 165 lbs. fo 1 inch crushed) or the 1 cu ft of 1 inch crushed stone ia about 125 lbs per cubic foot or 27 times that for a cubic yard = 3375 lbs per cu yd. If one then divides by 2000 lbs per ton you get about 1.7 tones per cu yd. of 1 inch crushed granite.

Comment

GIVE THIS MAN A ,, a+ ,,as they say on family feud ( good answer )

If you have crushed stone it's not quite as simple as that. Depending upon the stone size there is a considerable void volume. In smaller crushed stone, say 1 inch size, the volume of the voids is lower (about 25%) than in larger stone where a cubic yard of 6" stone may have a volume of voids of 35%.

Therefore, with a solid stone of granite that has a weight of 165 lbs per cu ft., the voids are equal to about 40 lbs (25% of 165 lbs. fo 1 inch crushed) or the 1 cu ft of 1 inch crushed stone ia about 125 lbs per cubic foot or 27 times that for a cubic yard = 3375 lbs per cu yd. If one then divides by 2000 lbs per ton you get about 1.7 tones per cu yd. of 1 inch crushed granite.

Comment

Your best bet is to call a quarry in your local area and ask to speak with a sales representative or someone in quality control.

As far as tons per cubic yards on the #57 Stone; 1.185 tons equals one cubic yard.

Here are some others that may help you...

#4 = 1.110
                          #5 = 1.092
                          #57 = 1.185
                          #67 = 1.164
                          #89 = 1.188
                          #9 = 1.273

This is all based on Miami Oolite limestone.

Comment

I'm a new superintedant for a construction company. I have a similar question, but I'm trying to convert #57 stone from cubic yards to tons. This information would help me for many years I am sure. Any help will be appreciated.
                            go get a cat book it will tell you every conversion you need to know. there really small hand held books

Comment

Originally posted by Estimator Dude
                              I have a sub contractor who placed asphalt pavement for me and he invoiced by the ton. The Architect pays by the Cubic Yard. We placed 423.36 tons of type I asphalt 1 1/2" thick. We placed 641.64 tons of Type II asphalt 2 1/2" thick. Please, Please tell me how to make this conversion. I really need to understand so I can address this in the future too. Thanks
                              It would be 1,089 yd^3

Comment

Working...
                              X