• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kg/m^2 into kN/m^2

Hi there,

I'm looking to find the kN/m^2 result of the following:

I have a glass panel which is 1750mm x 1600 mm x 24mm

The outer surface would be 1750mm x 1600mm and i need it to fit an area of 40m^2. I believe 15 panels would suffice.

Now, each panel weighs 100kg, which i think would weight 35.7kg/m^2 per panel. Does this look correct?

I then need the value to be represented as kN/m^2 to be used as a dead load.

I'm getting myself confused here. Any help is much appreciated

Cheers,
    Ross

Re: kg/m^2 into kN/m^2

Originally posted by Rosco
    Hi there,

I'm looking to find the kN/m^2 result of the following:

I have a glass panel which is 1750mm x 1600 mm x 24mm

The outer surface would be 1750mm x 1600mm and i need it to fit an area of 40m^2. I believe 15 panels would suffice.

Now, each panel weighs 100kg, which i think would weight 35.7kg/m^2 per panel. Does this look correct?

I then need the value to be represented as kN/m^2 to be used as a dead load.

I'm getting myself confused here. Any help is much appreciated

Cheers,
    Ross
    Standard gravity (which actually varies slightly between equator and poles) is taken as 9.80665 N/kg, so 35.7 kg/mē would be 350.24 N/mē

But that is only the weight of the panels; you probably have to design for some live load too.

Comment

yeah 35.7kg/m^2 equates so 357N/m^2 which is same as 0.357kN/m^2

Note: 1N = 1kg*m/s^2 cause Force (N) = Mass (kg) x Gravity (9.81m/s^2)

engineers i know generally take gravity as 10m/s^2. makes life easier =)

hope this helps

PS yeah gravity changes depending where you are but i really shouldn't matter. cause what's the difference between 9.81m/s^2 and 9.61m/s^2 ....wow its only 0.2m/s^2 give or take, which really in force translates to only a change of 0.2N lol

which is not much...difference in force...=)

Comment

Engineers measure in kN/m, not m^2, for dead and live loads.

The answer here is:

0.6131kN/m

Comment

please somebody help me!!! i want kg/m^2 into KN/m..how can i do that???

Comment

Originally posted by dimleme View Post
            please somebody help me!!! i want kg/m^2 into KN/m..how can i do that???
            You canīt. Unless you first convert kg/m2 to kN/m2 and then take any side of your area and measure it and multiply it with the previous convrtion result. That answer is the force acting on the other side of your area per unit of length thatīs why its units will be kN/m. A force acting on a unit of length, what you have (kg/m2) has units of stress, you cant mix them without doing this operation first.

Comment

Working...
            X