Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H2S % to ppm conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • H2S % to ppm conversion

    For oil / gas industry it is stated as 1 % H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide) = 10000 ppm H2S. Can u tell me the calculation for this?

  • #2
    Re: H2S % to ppm conversion

    Originally posted by srd_2111
    For oil / gas industry it is stated as 1 % H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide) = 10000 ppm H2S. Can u tell me the calculation for this?
    "Percent" = parts per hundred.
    one million divided by one hundred isten thousand. Both the numerator and denominator of one part per hundred are multiplied by ten thousand yielding 10000 parts per million. (or move the decimal four places )

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: H2S % to ppm conversion

      H2s from mg/nm3 to ppm ,0.1

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: H2S % to ppm conversion

        Is there a difference between mole percent H2s and Percent H2s in a gas stream? If I have 9.36 mole percent H2s, what is the percent H2S in gas stream and also PPM in gas stream. Would that be 9360 PPM? Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: H2S % to ppm conversion

          Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Is there a difference between mole percent H2s and Percent H2s in a gas stream? If I have 9.36 mole percent H2s, what is the percent H2S in gas stream and also PPM in gas stream. Would that be 9360 PPM? Thanks
          Percentages and ppm in gases are normally based on molar ratios (solids are usually mass ratios, liquids may be mass, volume or even mass/volume).

          So it is 9.36%; however 1% = 10000 ppm (1% of one million parts), so 93600 ppm.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: H2S ppmv to mol% conversion

            Mole weight of gas mixture 17.57 g/mol
            H2S 20ppm in volume

            How much mol % of H2S in the mixture? Thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: H2S ppmv to mol% conversion

              Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              Mole weight of gas mixture 17.57 g/mol
              H2S 20ppm in volume

              How much mol % of H2S in the mixture? Thanks!


              20 ppm or 0.002%. By Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures the fraction by molar ratio, partial pressure, or volume would be the same.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: H2S ppmv to mol% conversion

                Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                20 ppm or 0.002%. By Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures the fraction by molar ratio, partial pressure, or volume would be the same.
                Just like that? Could you elaborate a bit more?

                How about below calculations:
                -----------------------------------
                Gas Mixture: 17.57 g/mol
                H2S: 34.08 g/mol; 20ppm in volume (2E-5)

                Per mole Gas mixture = 17.57g
                H2S = 2E-5 x 34.08 g = 6.8E-4 g
                Mol % = 6.8E-4 / 17.57 *100% = 3.87E-3 % = 0.00387%

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: H2S ppmv to mol% conversion

                  Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                  20 ppm or 0.002%. By Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures the fraction by molar ratio, partial pressure, or volume would be the same.
                  And Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures is only applicable for Ideal Gas. In my convertion, the P & T of mixture is 50 barg and 30C, respectively.

                  What is the answer then? THX

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: H2S ppmv to mol% conversion

                    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    And Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures is only applicable for Ideal Gas. In my convertion, the P & T of mixture is 50 barg and 30C, respectively.

                    What is the answer then? THX
                    Since both the mixture and the H2S occupy the entire volume, what does percent (or ppm) by volume actually mean? It customarily is considered to be the ratio of the number of molecular entities hence it is the molar ratio.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: H2S ppmv to mol% conversion

                      Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      Just like that? Could you elaborate a bit more?

                      How about below calculations:
                      -----------------------------------
                      Gas Mixture: 17.57 g/mol
                      H2S: 34.08 g/mol; 20ppm in volume (2E-5)

                      Per mole Gas mixture = 17.57g
                      H2S = 2E-5 x 34.08 g = 6.8E-4 g
                      Mol % = 6.8E-4 / 17.57 *100% = 3.87E-3 % = 0.00387%
                      What you have calculated is percent by mass. It is still 20 µmol/mol. Your first line is 1 mole of mixture, and its mass. The 2 nd line is 20 µmol of H2S and its mass. What yo have calculated is 38.7 µg/g or ppm by mass.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: H2S ppmv to mol% conversion

                        Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                        Since both the mixture and the H2S occupy the entire volume, what does percent (or ppm) by volume actually mean? It customarily is considered to be the ratio of the number of molecular entities hence it is the molar ratio.
                        ---- From Wikipedia----

                        Dalton's law is not exactly followed by real gases.

                        "Those deviations are considerably large at high pressures."

                        In such conditions, the volume occupied by the molecules can become significant compared to the free space between them. Moreover, the short average distances between molecules raises the intensity of intermolecular forces between gas molecules enough to substantially change the pressure exerted by them. Neither of those effects are considered by the ideal gas model.

                        ---- what does the quoted sentence mean?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: H2S ppmv to mol% conversion

                          Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          ---- From Wikipedia----

                          Dalton's law is not exactly followed by real gases.

                          "Those deviations are considerably large at high pressures."

                          In such conditions, the volume occupied by the molecules can become significant compared to the free space between them. Moreover, the short average distances between molecules raises the intensity of intermolecular forces between gas molecules enough to substantially change the pressure exerted by them. Neither of those effects are considered by the ideal gas model.

                          ---- what does the quoted sentence mean?
                          It means the total pressure won't be what you expect from the ideal gas law.
                          Ideal Gas Law: PV = nRT
                          Real Gas Law PV = ZnRT
                          Z is the compressibility factor. Since the volume is the volume of the vessel, Z defines the departure of pressure from ideality. There are other equations of state for gases that attempt to predict or calculate Z, or it can be looked up as a function of pressure and temperature.

                          It does not alter the fact that ppm is gases is specified as molar fractions even if people incorrectly call it a volume ratio -- both gases occupy the whole chamber. The partial pressures may not be in accord with the molar ratio (Dalton's Law of Partial Pressure may break down).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: H2S % to ppm conversion

                            Originally posted by srd_2111 View Post
                            for oil / gas industry it is stated as 1 % h2s (hydrogen sulfide) = 10000 ppm h2s. Can u tell me the calculation for this?
                            1/100=10000/1000000

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: H2S % to ppm conversion

                              Originally posted by srd_2111 View Post
                              for oil / gas industry it is stated as 1 % h2s (hydrogen sulfide) = 10000 ppm h2s. Can u tell me the calculation for this?
                              100 ppm of h2s is equal to how much percent of h2s

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X