X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Insulin units to ml

A dosing measure of insulin is always in units and should NEVER be converted to mL!
    There is a reason that the syringes are different. This is not a mathematical challenge, and trying to convert in such a fashion is foolish.
    Use insulin syringes for insulin, which is dosed in units.
    Use mL syringes for medications that are clearly dosed in mL.

DO NOT (as the previous post stated) assume that 100units is 1cc

".......I'm using insulin syringes. I've got 1cc, 100 unit syringe......."

This post is forcefully worded as the implications of mis-dosing insulin, or any other medication, can be VERY severe. Please be advised that if you do not have the correct syringe the answer to your problem is to get one - there are programs/pharmacies/hospitals that can help with this. It is never appropriate to try and "convert" or "make do".

To recap:
    If you are dosing insulin, use units and an insulin syringe.
    If you are doing another medication, use a syringe that is appropriately marker (and of correct size to ensure accuracy).
    Finally, TB syringes are for TB tests! They should only be used for placement of PPD blebs by a healthcare professional. If this does not make sense to you, then you should be smart enough to know that you don't know enough to be dosing these medications safely. Stop. Seek informed advise, and know your limitations.

Comment

starting the injections for the hCG diet, they gave me insulin syringes. .3cc 30 unit syringe, and told me to use 130 units. can some one please tell me how to accomplish this.

Comment

Not sure what hCG is but if one syringe is 30 units and you need 130 units, you need 4 and 1/3 syringes. But it seems like something your doctor or pharmacist should have made very clear to you, I think you should contact them directly. Better safe then sorry.

Comment

Are units the same as milliliters . example : I take 30 cc of insulin qday and the syringes I used before went up to 100cc. The new syringes only go up to 30cc. Should I draw up the full 30cc at once or is there a conversion I should use. PLEASE HELP !!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Are units the same as milliliters . example : I take 30 cc of insulin qday and the syringes I used before went up to 100cc. The new syringes only go up to 30cc. Should I draw up the full 30cc at once or is there a conversion I should use. PLEASE HELP !!
            NO, units are NOT the same as milliliters!!!!

Insulin is marked with its strength, U-100 is 100 units/mL, U-60 is 60 units/mL.

I suspect you are taking 30 units, not 30 cc's. However, a 100:1 overdose would surely kill you so I advise you to discuss with your doctor. (Also the bottles are typically only 10 mL)

Comment

I think the other poster was confused and didn't realize that a cc is the same as a ml. Anyone that is taking insulin should be sure that the syringes that they are using are measured to match their insulin. For example my insulin is 100 units per ml and my syringes are measured 100 units per cc. I wish they were consistent with this but a cc and a ml are the same volume. Anyone with any doubt should check with their pharmacist because any error could lead to a very serious reaction.

Anyone that is diabetic should see a diabetic educator and also a dietitian.
              There is a really great show on Sundays on CNBC called Dlife and it's all about living a healthy diabetic life. It would also be beneficial to anyone who wants to lead a healthy lifestyle. They also have a web site www.dlife.com and you can sign up for a free newsletter and they have lots of healthy recipes and health tips.

Comment

SIMPLE ANSWER:

10 units on a U-100 syringe = 0.1 cc = 0.1 ml

** Make sure that it is a U-100 syringe - it should be labeled on the side.

Comment

Ok now.....didn't make myself too clear here. I'm using insulin syringes. I've got 1cc, 100 unit syringe. The instructions on the allergy meds say to give .1ml. Would that be 10 units on syringe....just trying to find a syringe. NOT giving my cat insulin........
                  well i have a ml syringe and have the 100unit vial.........i use 40units how many ml will i use?????????

Comment

I have a question...

Had a math test and they showed a 60 unit insulin syringe and shaded it to what I thought was 33 units but got the answer wrong..When looking at a 60 unit insuling syringe what would the answer or strength be if it is shaed 3 calibrations (little lines) below the 30?

Thanks

Comment

I have a question...

Had a math test and they showed a 60 unit insulin syringe and shaded it to what I thought was 33 units but got the answer wrong..When looking at a 60 unit insuling syringe what would the answer or strength be if it is shaed 3 calibrations (little lines) below the 30?

Thanks
                      If it is below the 30, it has to be less than 30, right.
                      Maybe 27. How many calibration lines between 20 and 30?
                      If 10, each is 1 unit
                      If 5, each is 2 units

Comment

Let me put it this way. I've got a 1cc, 100unit syringe and the allergy medication says to give .1ml. Would that be 10units on the syringe size stated above?
                        I am a diabete and I need 15units of insulin the syringe has up to 1.0ml. How much I need to draw in the syringe

Comment

I am a diabete and I need 15units of insulin the syringe has up to 1.0ml. How much I need to draw in the syringe
                          You should read post #21 above, then contact your doctor or pharmacist.

We'd love to help but where your health is concerned you probably shouldn't trust strangers on the internet. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Also you can try visiting The American Diabetes Association at http://www.diabetes.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Songoman View Post
                              Please heed Sandras advice! Giving your cat an insulin injection may easily kill it!

Insulin is a diabetes medication and can be potentialy lethal. Anyone who had a case of severe hypoglycemia after miscalculating his or her insulin dosage will know what I mean...
                              She's giving injectable allergy medication, not insulin.

Comment

I'm still a little confused. I inject 38 units of U-500 Regular Insulin. I now have ML syringes. How many ML would 38 Units be? Would it be 0.38, as stated above?

Comment

Working...
                                X