X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulin units to ml

I am giving my cat allergy injections. Would .1 ml = 10 units? It gradually increases to 1ml. Am I on the right track?????
    Thanks in advance!!!!

Re: Insulin units to ml

insulin is used for diabetics so I don't know how it would compare to allergy medication, you should really ask a pharmacist.

the insulin that I use is 10 ML 100 units/ML
    the 10 ML refers to the amount in the whole vial.

Comment

Let me put it this way. I've got a 1cc, 100unit syringe and the allergy medication says to give .1ml. Would that be 10units on the syringe size stated above?

Comment

Please heed Sandras advice! Giving your cat an insulin injection may easily kill it!

Insulin is a diabetes medication and can be potentialy lethal. Anyone who had a case of severe hypoglycemia after miscalculating his or her insulin dosage will know what I mean...

Comment

Ok now.....didn't make myself too clear here. I'm using insulin syringes. I've got 1cc, 100 unit syringe. The instructions on the allergy meds say to give .1ml. Would that be 10 units on syringe....just trying to find a syringe. NOT giving my cat insulin........

Comment

I would recommend speaking to your vetinarian (sp?) as presumably they supplied the medication and syringe and would be best to advise you on the actual dosage.

This is one area I think even the best mathmetician on this site (not actually speaking as one ) wouldn't like to think they were responsible for a cat OD'ing.

Comment

I have the same problem as the first question. My cat needs an injection of a very small amount of medicine. This injection is NOT insulin. The Vet sold me insulin syringes to use because they are supposed to handle smaller doses. I'm supposed to inject .05 cc (or ml) of prednisone. I can't figure out how to convert cc's to units in order to put the correct amount of medicine in the syringe. Isn't there some simple mathematical relationship in volume between unit and cc?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                I have the same problem as the first question. My cat needs an injection of a very small amount of medicine. This injection is NOT insulin. The Vet sold me insulin syringes to use because they are supposed to handle smaller doses. I'm supposed to inject .05 cc (or ml) of prednisone. I can't figure out how to convert cc's to units in order to put the correct amount of medicine in the syringe. Isn't there some simple mathematical relationship in volume between unit and cc?
                Insulin is packaged in different strengths, U-60 and U-100 are the most common and are the number of units per cc. You have to know if you are using a U-100 syringe. If you are, then 100 units = 1cc = 1 mL. BUT, for any other strength insulin, this relationship is not true. The syringe should be marked with what strength insulin it is intended to be used with. There are also low dose syringes that hold less than 100 units but are used with U-100 insulin.

Your vet should have explained better, and it is not unreasonable to call him for clarification.

Comment

wow some people make hard answers out of easy problems for conversions only u-100 syringes hole 100units or 1ml of fluid.

if 100units=1.0ml than

50units= 0.5ml

or 25units=0.25ml

and so on

Comment

Is this the same way you would calculate oxytocin units eg.20 units =0.20 ml

Comment

I would be VERY surprised if you were dosing yourself with oxytocin! Unless of course, you are your own midwife or doctor. Particularly then, there would be serious ethical concerns.

:rofl: :rofl:

Sorry, but this is why you should check all medicines face-to-face with a healthcare professional you trust, rather than strangers on the internet!
                      Last edited by Mrs X; 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Yes .1ml = 10units

You can also use a TB syringe which comes as 1ml syringe and has .1ml marker.

Comment

I have been reading about units to cc's. Boy, you people make it tough. I have a dog that needs a dose of medicine equal to 3/10 of a cc. NO, IT IS NOT INSULIN. having some old 3ml (3cc) syringes and have aquired some 50 unit insulin syringes (for use with U-100 insulin). I took the needle off of a 3ml syringe (graduated in 1/10ths) pulled it open to 3ml and filled up the 50 unit insulin syringe and emptied the 50 units of water into the 3ml syringe. upon closing the 3ml syringe I found that I had exactly 3/10ths ml of liquid. I don't know about U-60 syringes or any other size but a U-100 syringe equals 10 units=1/10th CC or 1/10ml

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                            Ok now.....didn't make myself too clear here. I'm using insulin syringes. I've got 1cc, 100 unit syringe. The instructions on the allergy meds say to give .1ml. Would that be 10 units on syringe....just trying to find a syringe. NOT giving my cat insulin........
                            Okay so 100 units = 1ml. so your desired amount is 0.1ml. first you must convert units to ml. 100 units in 1 mL. so if you have a 100 unit syringe you actually have a 1 mL syringe. so on the 1 mL syringe you need to fill to 0.1 mL that will equal 10 units. Does that help?

Comment

A U-100 syringe as purchased at Walmart has a capacity of one third or .33 ml. The markings on the side are in units up to 3 (.3 ml). My cat gets one half unit every 12 hours. This is a .5 unit dose as marked on the syringe. A full syringe would be over 6 doses, so be careful! Too much can be lethal. Please check with your vet if you are not positive.

Comment

Working...
                              X