IU to micrograms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IU to micrograms

I found the following information on how to convert several vitamins from IU to miligrams/micrograms/nanograms.

international unit (IU)
    a unit used to measure the activity (that is, the effect) of many vitamins and drugs. For each substance to which this unit applies, there is an international agreement specifying the biological effect expected with a dose of 1 IU. Other quantities of the substance are then expressed as multiples of this standard. Examples: 1 IU represents 45.5 micrograms of a standard preparation of insulin or 0.6 microgram of a standard preparation of penicillin. Consumers most often see IU's on the labels of vitamin packages: in standard preparations the equivalent of 1 IU is 0.3 microgram (0.0003 mg) for vitamin A, 50 micrograms (0.05 mg) for vitamin C, 25 nanograms (0.000 025 mg) for vitamin D, and 2/3 milligram for (natural) vitamin E. Please note: for many substances there is no definite conversion between international units and mass units (such as milligrams). This is because preparations of those substances vary in activity, so that the effect per milligram of one preparation is different from that of another.

Comment

Online Conversion FAQ says
      "IU stands for International Units and is used for the measurement of drugs and vitamins.

Webster's defines IU as: a quantity of a biologic (such as a vitamin) that produces a particular biological effect agreed upon as an international standard

What this means is that IU is dependent on the potency of the substance, and each substance would have a different IU to milligram conversion. For example, 1000 IU of Vitamin C would have a different weight than 1000 IU of Vitamin A

Since each substance would have a different conversion ratio, we cannot put up a conversion for IU to milligrams that covers everything, or even most things. Just too many different substances.

So what can you do?

Your best bet would be to contact your pharmacist. They have all the information anyone could ever want about drugs and vitamins.

You could also contact the manufacturer of the vitamin. Most manufactures will have a web site with contact information so you can email them. Try searching the web using the manufactures name or the name of the vitamin."

Comment

convert 18 mg of vit E to internationalunit

Comment

To convert Vitamin A as retinol:
          From IU to mcg: IU * 0.3 = mcg
          For example: 5000 IU * 0.3 = 1500 mcg
          From mcg to IU: mcg / 0.3 = IU

To convert Vitamin A as beta-carotene:
          From IU to mcg: IU * 0.6 = mcg
          For example: 5000 IU * 0.6 = 3000 mcg
          From mcg to IU: mcg / 0.6 = IU

To convert Vitamin D:
          From IU to mcg: IU * 0.025 = mcg
          For example: 400 IU * 0.025 = 10 mcg
          From mcg to IU: mcg / 0.025 =IU

To convert Vitamin E if the product label has DL-Alpha-tocopherol as the ingredient:
          From IU to mg: IU * 0.9 = mg
          For example: 30 IU * 0.9 = 27 mg
          From mg to IU: mg / 0.9 = IU

To convert Vitamin E if the product label has D-Alpha-tocopherol as the ingredient:
          From IU to mg: IU * 0.67 = mg.
          For example: 30 IU * 0.67 = 20.1 mg
          From mg to IU: mg / 0.67 = IU

Comment

: IU to micrograms

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
            the usda nutrient data lab reports vitamin d in iu. The national academy of sciences reports the amount of vitamin d in micrograms. Do you know what iu is and how it can be converted to micrograms?

Thank you for your assistance.
            in mg= iu/100. For vit.d3

Comment

convert 5000 IU into mcg

Comment

I have a syringe that shows "units" (10 to 100) on one side and "ml/cc" (1)
                on the other side.
                My prescription that says I should use
                "20 micrograms".

How do I convert the micrograms to units?
                Jerry Swinson
                E-mail - jlswinson@nc.rr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  I have a syringe that shows "units" (10 to 100) on one side and "ml/cc" (1)
                  on the other side.
                  My prescription that says I should use
                  "20 micrograms".

How do I convert the micrograms to units?
                  Jerry Swinson
                  E-mail - jlswinson@nc.rr.com
                  Liquid medicines are mostly buffer, not active ingredient. You HAVE to find a strength or concentration statement on the bottle. It should tell you how many micrograms or milligrams per milliliter of medicine. Without that statement, there is no way to tell as medicines can be mixed to different strengths according to usage or patient need.

Comment

5 IU is equal to how many microliters? I'm thinking 100ul, or .1 ml

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      How to convert Lycopene (10%) too microgram to IU
                      6000 IU = How many mg of lycopene 10%

Comment

Working...
                      X