Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

    Hello All.

    I'm new here.
    I need help to calculate battery capacity for UPS I planned.
    I want to buy a Inverter with UPS mode.

    The inverter have :
    - 24VDC Input
    - 220VAC 3000Watt Output
    - Eficiency 90%

    I need to have 6 or 12 hours backup time at Full Load (3000Watt).
    So how many AH (amps hours) I should prepare and how to calculate that ?
    What I know is I need to make 2 x 12V battery in serial to get 24V.

    Many thanks.

  • #2
    Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

    Originally posted by yudhi
    Hello All.

    I'm new here.
    I need help to calculate battery capacity for UPS I planned.
    I want to buy a Inverter with UPS mode.

    The inverter have :
    - 24VDC Input
    - 220VAC 3000Watt Output
    - Eficiency 90%

    I need to have 6 or 12 hours backup time at Full Load (3000Watt).
    So how many AH (amps hours) I should prepare and how to calculate that ?
    What I know is I need to make 2 x 12V battery in serial to get 24V.

    Many thanks.
    You are going to need an enormous battery. For 3 kW out and 90% efficiency, you need 3333 W in. At 24 V dc, that's 139 A. For 6 h, that's 834 Ah, for 12 h, 1668 Ah.

    That is what you need to draw, not the battery's rating. Even a deep discharge type battery should never be discharged to less than 20% of capacity, and 50% will result in much longer life. (Divide above by 0.8 or 0.5)

    Discharged to 20%: 1050 Ah for 6 h, 2100 Ah for 12 h
    To 50%: 1700 Ah for 6 hr, 3400 Ah for 12 h.

    Those are huge batteries and you may wish to consider a much smaller UPS battery supplemented by a generator.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

      Originally posted by JohnS
      You are going to need an enormous battery. For 3 kW out and 90% efficiency, you need 3333 W in. At 24 V dc, that's 139 A. For 6 h, that's 834 Ah, for 12 h, 1668 Ah.

      That is what you need to draw, not the battery's rating. Even a deep discharge type battery should never be discharged to less than 20% of capacity, and 50% will result in much longer life. (Divide above by 0.8 or 0.5)

      Discharged to 20%: 1050 Ah for 6 h, 2100 Ah for 12 h
      To 50%: 1700 Ah for 6 hr, 3400 Ah for 12 h.

      Those are huge batteries and you may wish to consider a much smaller UPS battery supplemented by a generator.
      Thank you for your sharing.
      Wow....I need huge capacity

      Generator is my last option....smoke, noisy and the fuel price is rising and never stop

      Do you ever know how much is battery which have huge capacity which is used by most cellular provider at their BTS ?
      I saw battery with capacity over than 2000AH.

      Thanks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

        Originally posted by yudhi
        Do you ever know how much is battery which have huge capacity which is used by most cellular provider at their BTS ?
        I saw battery with capacity over than 2000AH.

        Thanks.

        I don't know. Among people who live "off grid" and use solar or wind power, batteries rated for golf carts, generally 6V, 400 Ah, are popular and relatively economical. They wire four in series for 24 V, and either operate several separate banks or parallel them for more capacity (when paralleling batteries, there may be some problems getting all of them to charge/discharge uniformly, small differences in cell voltage can be a problem).

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

          Thanks a lot....its very helpful for me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

            My load is 3KW & I want to take inverter. How I shuld decide battery capacity Pl. tell what should be battery capacity

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

              Originally posted by JohnS
              I don't know. Among people who live "off grid" and use solar or wind power, batteries rated for golf carts, generally 6V, 400 Ah, are popular and relatively economical. They wire four in series for 24 V, and either operate several separate banks or parallel them for more capacity (when paralleling batteries, there may be some problems getting all of them to charge/discharge uniformly, small differences in cell voltage can be a problem).
              This scenario calls for 20 batteries at 100% discharge (B A D bad) or 40 batteries at 50% discharge (I would not go below that point, and not often) which makes containment, ventilation (explosion proof!) and heat dissipation into real live issues. Plus, as John says all batteries must be the same type, size and age or they will start discharging each other.

              Wiring would be ten parallel banks of four batteries in series. Charging with positive at first bank and negative at last bank is proper way to keep everything equalized.

              Major dollars here for a constantly deteriorating asset. Buy a lot of gas for that money, and it will be fresh with every fill up...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

                Originally posted by kiran.elcom@gmail.com
                My load is 3KW & I want to take inverter. How I shuld decide battery capacity Pl. tell what should be battery capacity
                *rolls eyes*
                Some simple maths:
                V A R & W A V and for the yanks E I R & P I E same **** just using the equality values but im going to explain in base value.

                Meanings: V=Volts A=Ampere R=Ohm's W=Watts

                Ohms law (1) Requires to part of the calculation so any one is able to do this all you need is a multimetre to start.

                Calculate:
                Volts: V= AxR
                Amps: A= V/R
                Ohms: R= V/A

                Working with watts:
                Watts: W= AxV
                Amps: A= WxV
                Volts: V= W/A

                Want an AH:
                Say with a single filament 24W at a 12V supply what AH do i need to run it for lets say 24hrs?

                Here now to put the above info into play:
                We need the amps that is being drawn from the 24W filament so:
                A=24/12 (2AMP)

                Now 24hr run time hrrm lets just think about this it aint that hard!
                So! 2A * 24HR = 48AH one thing to mention this is not for a deep charge battery! else add 20% to 48AH as we do not like to drain a deep plate as it f's it!

                I can't be stuffed typin anymore lol have fun with the new info

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

                  i want to run one sheeling fan and two tupe lights with 12 hours backup.so which battery is suitable for it and how make this calculation.thanking you

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Need Help To Calculate Heat Dissipation for UPS

                    Hi,

                    I need help to calculate the total Heat Dissipation for a 20kva UPS.

                    Many thanks.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

                      how to confirm the battery voltage?
                      i mean whether to go for 12V battery or 2V battery to suppliment 1200AH.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

                        Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                        You are going to need an enormous battery. For 3 kW out and 90% efficiency, you need 3333 W in. At 24 V dc, that's 139 A. For 6 h, that's 834 Ah, for 12 h, 1668 Ah.

                        That is what you need to draw, not the battery's rating. Even a deep discharge type battery should never be discharged to less than 20% of capacity, and 50% will result in much longer life. (Divide above by 0.8 or 0.5)

                        Discharged to 20%: 1050 Ah for 6 h, 2100 Ah for 12 h
                        To 50%: 1700 Ah for 6 hr, 3400 Ah for 12 h.

                        Those are huge batteries and you may wish to consider a much smaller UPS battery supplemented by a generator.
                        DEar Johns,

                        How to be sure about battery voltage? whether to go for 12V battery or 2V battries.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

                          Originally posted by bns View Post
                          DEar Johns,

                          How to be sure about battery voltage? whether to go for 12V battery or 2V battries.
                          The calculation was done for 24 V.

                          If 12 V batteries are used, 2 of the capacity must be wired in series. If individual cells (2V) are used, 12 of that capacity must be wired in series.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

                            Greetings every body.

                            I have total connected load = 1000VA

                            UPS Rating = 1200 Watts

                            Battery Rating = 1300 Ampere Hours

                            Voltage = 240 V

                            For how long will battery supply power to load? I mean the battery run time.
                            Please show full calculation.

                            Thank you very much

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Need Help To Calculate Battery Capacity for UPS

                              Originally posted by zaheer708 View Post
                              Greetings every body.

                              I have total connected load = 1000VA

                              UPS Rating = 1200 Watts

                              Battery Rating = 1300 Ampere Hours

                              Voltage = 240 V

                              For how long will battery supply power to load? I mean the battery run time.
                              Please show full calculation.

                              Thank you very much
                              Theoretical, at 100% efficiency
                              1300 Ah x 240 V /1000 VA = 312 h.
                              Reality will be less. Battery banks should never be fully discharged as it shortens life. Estimating 50 %, maybe 150 h.

                              Comment

                              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

                              Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

                              Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X