X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert NTU to ppm

My dilema is this: I am measuring Sulfates (SO4) in water. The turbidimeter reads in NTUs. The result must be reported in mg/kg or ppm (the same). Is there a direct conversion of NTU to ppm?

Re: Convert NTU to ppm

Originally posted by Unregistered
    My dilema is this: I am measuring Sulfates (SO4) in water. The turbidimeter reads in NTUs. The result must be reported in mg/kg or ppm (the same). Is there a direct conversion of NTU to ppm?
    Sulphates are pretty soluable. Turbidity meters use light to measure precipitates, or undisolved particles. Please can you give a bit more information about what you are trying to do, as this doesn't seem like the right sort of measurement?

Comment

I did encounter the same problem too. Let's say in analyzing the NTU of river water, how can I convert to ppm of suspended solid istead? e.g. 1000 ntu of river water equals to how much ppm of SS?

Comment

QUOTE=Unregistered]My dilema is this: I am measuring Sulfates (SO4) in water. The turbidimeter reads in NTUs. The result must be reported in mg/kg or ppm (the same). Is there a direct conversion of NTU to ppm?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I did encounter the same problem too. Let's say in analyzing the NTU of river water, how can I convert to ppm of suspended solid istead? e.g. 1000 ntu of river water equals to how much ppm of SS?
          Convert this

Comment

5 NTU to ppm
            Last edited by LUIS CERDA; 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM. Reason: consult

Comment

I know! I have to do the same thing!

Comment

Hi everyone. To accomplish this, you have to measure some standards that you have made up, and compare them to your river water. The standards would need to contain the same types of suspended particles that are actually in the river water.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  1 NTU is equal to how many ppm?

Comment

You have to run sulphate standards on the Turbidity Meter and plot the graph of Turbidity in NTU versus Conc. of Sulphate in mg/l using y = 3.251x - 0.13

contact me in case of any query: elcnyanza@gmail.com

Comment

You cannot simply say x NTU = y ppm solids. NTU is a measure of light absorption. PPM is a measure of concentration. The ratio between the two depends on how much light the particles you are measuring adsorb per mg of particle.

Comment

Working...
                      X