X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m3/ha converted to tonnes

hi there, could any one help me with this conversion. its for tree mass, i need to convert m3/ha to tonnes and am finding it very difficult. is density a factor?
    thank you

Re: m3/ha converted to tonnes

Originally posted by Unregistered
    hi there, could any one help me with this conversion. its for tree mass, i need to convert m3/ha to tonnes and am finding it very difficult. is density a factor?
    thank you
    Yes, trees have widely different densities. For wood (dried for use as lumber) densities can range from 0.2 g/cm for bamboo to 1.3 for lignum vitae. For more reasonable species, 0.7 g/cm might be a VERY rough estimate.

For fresh cut trees, the sap will likely make a difference. But if your tree floats, it is less than 1.0. Note: All of the g/cm figures are also t/m.

I think as a minimum, you would need a density from a reference book or by sample measurement for each species, and an analysis of what species composition is on the property. There may be some industry guideline, but I don't know of them.

Comment

m3/ha

What does it mean m3/ha ?? it is stand for want any one can reply

Comment

Re: m3/ha

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        What does it mean m3/ha ?? it is stand for want any one can reply
        The three should be a superscript. It means cubic meters per hectare. The 3-superscript can be represented in special symbols, m/ha, but a lot of people just type it after the unit, or use a caret, m^3/ha.

It might be suitable for volumetric yields such as timber mass or for irrigation water requirements, as examples. (25 mm of water would require 250 m/ha)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X