Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Acres

How many acres of land do I have based on the following land description:

That portion of the SW1/4 of SE1/4, Section 30, Township 3, Range 10 East, St. Helena Meridian described as follows:
    Beginning at the northwest corner of the said SW1/4 of the SE1/4; thence south 1/2 deg. east along the west line of the said SW1/4 of the SE1/4 6 1/2 chains; thence South 47 deg. east 16 chains to public road; thence north 18 deg. east along public road 7.75 chains; thence in a northerly direction along said public road to the intersection of the north line of the said SW1/4 of the SE1/4 at a point approximately 9 chains from the northwest corner; thence west along said north line to the point of beginning.

Thanks
    Ken Creel

Re: How Many Acres

Wow, that seems very cryptic and complex. Is this for a school test of some sort?

Hopefully an highway engineer will see this post and be able to help, as this went way over my head.

Comment

Trying to sell some property in Louisiana and this is from the legal description.
      Being as it's from Louisiana ought to tell you something.
      Kcseagull

Comment

around here (wisconsin, minnesota), the county (parish, in your case) platbooks usually give the size (in acres) of each plot of land.. at least in non-urban areas. public libraries usually have platbooks you can look at in the reference or local sections. that would be the easy first place to find an answer.

Comment

Ken,

By best estimate of the size of your land (from a sketch, not a precise calculation) is about 14 acres. This is based on standard plat map conventions. I understand that some sections in Louisiana, where this lot appears to be by the description of the principal meridian as St. Helena, can be irregular, especially if the land borders a river or other body of water. But that does not appear to be the case from the description.

Your parcel has an irregular pentagon shape.

Some usefull conversions: 640 acres per section. Your land is in 1/4 of 1/4 of the section, that is 640 X 1/4 X 1/4 = 40 acres. Your land has to be less than 40 acres and appears to represent about 1/3 of this forty.

One acre = 1 chain X 1 furlong. 1 furlong = 10 chains. Therefore, 1 acre = 10 square chains. Your lot should have about 140 square chains, which sound s silly.

I hope someone with real land surveying experience can check my estimate.

Thanks for the fun puzzle.

Dave

Comment

How many acres are in the W1/2 of the SW1/4 of the NE1/4 of the SW1/2 of section 13?

Comment

KC, If you are living in lousiana go the county register of deeds with the information you provided. They will be able to give you the LAST surveyor's dimensions from the LAST time the land was appraised. The all caps (LAST) is because the last time it was surveyed might be 20, 30,10 years ago. The information you have is meerley a legal document, kind of like a binding agreement between City and Land holder.

Comment

1/4 section is 160 acres so a 1/4 of a 1/4 section is 40 acres

Comment

Take the legal to your local title company. If they are good, they should be able to draw it out on paper and tell you

Comment

To Dave in post #5: I'm not a real surveyor either, but I can't get close to a closed traverse from the description, so I think there must be a flaw in it.

All: This is pretty typical of land descriptions in much of the Midwest surveyed in 1800's by PLSS. The basis is the 6 mile square township. Let's parse the first part
                    That portion of the SW1/4 of SE1/4, Section 30, Township 3, Range 10 East, St. Helena Meridian described as follows:
                    The township is the third township block south of the Louisiana base line. The south is omitted, but the baseline is also the state border; north would be another state. It is the 10th township block east of the St. Helena meridian (in eastern part of the state. There are problems imposing a square grid on a round earth (and surveying errors in 1800's) so the north-south-east-west alignment and six mile squares are all "nominal." The actual monuments in the corners prevail, even if screwed up.

The 36 square miles of a township are divided into 36 one square mile sections, numbered serpentine from the NE corner, section 30 defines a particular square in the township, near southwest corner.

The section is divided in half, both north/south and east/west into quarters; we care about the SE 1/4. The 1/4 section is quartered again, and we care about the SW 1/4 1/4. We are talking about a square 1/4 mile or 20 chains on a side (nominally), and 40 acres in area. Note the west border is 1/2 degree out of true north/south. We'd also really like to know the exact bearing of the north border, but it is not given (it will be close to east/west).

He only owns a part of the 40 acres described as:
                    Beginning at the northwest corner of the said SW1/4 of the SE1/4; thence south 1/2 deg. east along the west line of the said SW1/4 of the SE1/4 6 1/2 chains; thence South 47 deg. east 16 chains to public road; thence north 18 deg. east along public road 7.75 chains;
                    OK, I can start a traverse from here. At the end of the 7.75 chains, I am 10.04 chains south of the PoB and 14.15 chains east. Now I have a problem. From the following description, I should go north an unspecified distance and be about 9 chains east of the PoB, but I'm over 14 chains east. I don't know the exact bearing of the northern 1/4 1/4 boundary, but I have to go roughly N27W to cross it 9 chains east of PoB. I could accept a couple of degrees from incomplete info, but something has been copied wrong here.

thence in a northerly direction along said public road to the intersection of the north line of the said SW1/4 of the SE1/4 at a point approximately 9 chains from the northwest corner; thence west along said north line to the point of beginning.
                    This may require a back title search and a surveyor on the ground to resolve the issue.

Comment

Answer: How Many Acres

Call the Count it is in, get current tax record and legal and the total land might be on the past legal record up to 100 years ago. I have seen it done before.

TC / INDY

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS
                        OK, I can start a traverse from here. At the end of the 7.75 chains, I am 10.04 chains south of the PoB and 14.15 chains east. Now I have a problem. From the following description, I should go north an unspecified distance and be about 9 chains east of the PoB, but I'm over 14 chains east. I don't know the exact bearing of the northern 1/4 1/4 boundary, but I have to go roughly N27W to cross it 9 chains east of PoB. I could accept a couple of degrees from incomplete info, but something has been copied wrong here.

This may require a back title search and a surveyor on the ground to resolve the issue.
                        OK, looking for a transcription error that would explain the above, I think the 16 chains could be 10 chains. This is a reasonable error in copying a handwritten document, and moves the problem point above to 13.32 ch south of and 9.76 ch east of PoB. It is then plausible to proceed (nearly) northerly along the road to north section line, 9 ch east of PoB. With this, the traverse may be divided in triangles and parallelograms and computed to be 93.5 ch pr 9.35 acres, more or less.

The description is still flawed by lack of length and bearing along the last road segment (6 ch, N 7 20' W in my assumption), and lack of bearing on north section line (assumed due east/west), but it becomes plausible. It still needs a title search to find the transcription error and resurvey to clean it up.

Comment

Beginning at a point which is the Northwest corner of the SW/4SW/4 of Section 14, Township 31 South, Range 75 West of the 6th P.M; thence North 600 ft to a point on the West boundary line of said Section 14; thence south 8923' West to a point on the centerline of the Rio Grand River ; thence southerly along the centerline of the Rio Grande River to a point on the South line of Section 15, Township 31 South, Range 75 West of the 6th P.M.; thence East along the south boundary of said Section 15 to the Southeast corner of Said Section 15: thence North along the East boundary of said Section 15 to the Northwest corner of the SW/4Sw/4 of said section 14 and the point of beginning

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl Zortman View Post
                            Beginning at a point which is the Northwest corner of the SW/4SW/4 of Section 14, Township 31 South, Range 75 West of the 6th P.M; thence North 600 ft to a point on the West boundary line of said Section 14; thence south 8923' West to a point on the centerline of the Rio Grand River ; thence southerly along the centerline of the Rio Grande River to a point on the South line of Section 15, Township 31 South, Range 75 West of the 6th P.M.; thence East along the south boundary of said Section 15 to the Southeast corner of Said Section 15: thence North along the East boundary of said Section 15 to the Northwest corner of the SW/4Sw/4 of said section 14 and the point of beginning
                            I assume you want the acreage. I think you would need to have it surveyed, as the lengths are mostly unspecified. A section is approximately 1 square mile (640 acres), but may deviate from that nominal size both due to original surveyor error, and the need to correct for curvature of the earth. The original momuments prevail over the nominal size.

Each section is subdivided by cutting in half, both north/south, and east/west yielding 4 quarters, each 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile. Quarters are requartered.

The description begins on the border between sections 14 and 15 (section 15 is west of section 14). The eastern border of the property is about 1920 feet (the entire SW quarter of SW quarter border plus 600' of NW quarter of SW quarter. The northern border runs an unspecified distance almost due west, S8923'W, then an unspecified distance and approximate bearing down the river. Finally it turns east and runs an unspecified distance along the southern boundary of section 15 to the boundary between sections 14 and 15.

The property seems to lie entirely in section 15, so the references to section 14 are confusing. Much of the property is in the SE quarter of section 15 and the quarter quarter references could as easily have been the SE and NE quarter quarters of the SE quarter of section 15. With 3 of the 4 boundaries of unspecified length, it is not possible to make a credible area estimate.

Comment

Use a deed plotter. this is a very useful tool when trying to determine a 'meets and bounds' description of land. there are numerous free ones online.

anymore questions in regards to Land work, research, help, or even determining the surface or mineral ownership of a said piece of property feel free to email me.

whitenton@gmail.com

I am a landman, here in the state of California, and I will be able to help you at any point. Please feel free to email, and I will get you set up

Thanks

Matthew

Comment

Working...
                              X