X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meters to Minutes

I have been searching for a way to calculate meters to minutes (as in degrees)

I am trying to calculate 687 Meters N from N 45 26.293 and 3149 meters E from 122 43.339

Could someone please tell me if the answer I have is correct? There seems to be an error.

My current result is 45 26.650 and 122 41.699 but the coordinates put me in someone's back yard and should be a park or a public place.

This kind of math is greek to me but we are doing the best we can with it. The information I found that gave me the above answer is that there are 32 meters per minute. I am not sure how accurate that is.

Thanks for anyone that likes this creative math and takes a moment to check it out!

Re: Meters to Minutes

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I have been searching for a way to calculate meters to minutes (as in degrees)

I am trying to calculate 687 Meters N from N 45 26.293 and 3149 meters E from 122 43.339

Could someone please tell me if the answer I have is correct? There seems to be an error.

My current result is 45 26.650 and 122 41.699 but the coordinates put me in someone's back yard and should be a park or a public place.

This kind of math is greek to me but we are doing the best we can with it. The information I found that gave me the above answer is that there are 32 meters per minute. I am not sure how accurate that is.

Thanks for anyone that likes this creative math and takes a moment to check it out!
    Well, the 32 m per minute of arc figure is completely wrong; that has led you astray.

Table 6 of The American Practical Navigator gives the length of a degree of longitude and latitude in several units. (they are both functions of latitude as the earth is an ellipsoid, and the meredians converge.) The length of a degree of arc (60 minutes) is
    Latitude 45: 111131 m
    46: 111151 m
    (these are measured from a half degree on either side and you can interpolate.

Longitude (@45 latitude): 78849 m
    (@46 latitude): 77466 m

I would either interpolate to your actual latitude or at least to 4530' (the midpoint of the two figures)

Comment

Working...
    X