X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert mg/kg to ml/cc

I need to convert 10 mg/kg to ml/cc to administer to correct amount of medicine. Can someone help?

Re: convert mg/kg to ml/cc

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I need to convert 10 mg/kg to ml/cc to administer to correct amount of medicine. Can someone help?
    First, multiply by the body weight of the patient in kilograms, to get total dose required.

Secondly, look carefully at the bottle label or packaging material for some kind of a statement on strength or concentration of the medicine, telling you how many milligrams are in a cubic centimeter or milliliter.

Divide the milligrams dose by that strength to get cubic centimeters or milliliters.

Better yet, discuss with doctor or pharmacist

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      What are you medicating? Human or animal?

Comment

Hi guys,

Sorry to bother you - I'm proposing an experiment at a University and I've been asked to make some conversions involving mg/kg to ml (volume). What I really would need is just a good explanation of how to make a conversion. I've got a few calculations to do, one of which involves caffeine; I'm supposed to convert 7mg/kg into a unit of volume (ml preferably). Can somebody give me a simple explanation of how to do this?

The subjects for the experiment would weigh around 300g.

Thanks,

-Researcher

Comment

Hi guys,

Sorry to bother you - I'm proposing an experiment at a University and I've been asked to make some conversions involving mg/kg to ml (volume). What I really would need is just a good explanation of how to make a conversion. I've got a few calculations to do, one of which involves caffeine; I'm supposed to convert 7mg/kg into a unit of volume (ml preferably). Can somebody give me a simple explanation of how to do this?

The subjects for the experiment would weigh around 300g.

Thanks,

-Researcher
          If I understand correctly what you are trying to do, I think there are two steps. If the explanation doesn't fit your experiment, the numbers are probably wrong, so write back with more info.

1) The 7 mg/kg represents dosing by weight. Express the subject's weight in kilograms (300 g = 0.3 kg) and multiply by the dose, 0.7 mg/kg x 0.3 kg = 0.21 mg. This dose will vary with the weight of individual subjects.

2) I'm sure your caffeine is some diluted solution. You need to know the strength in milligrams of caffeine (NOT total mass) per milliliter of solution. Divide the unique subject dose from step (1) by this strength to get the dose in milliliters to be administered.

Comment

JohnS,

Thanks; that helps a lot. It's been a while since I did these conversions and I appreciate your input.

-Researcher

Comment

Originally posted by TinyTim View Post
              What are you medicating? Human or animal?
              animal
              I need to convert 10 Kg to cc

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;54923]I need to convert 10 mg/kg to ml/cc to administer to correct amount of medicine. Can someone help?[
                can you please help with me to convert 10mg to kg

Comment

[QUOTE=m.cawad2010@hotmail.com;86913]
                  I need to convert 10 mg/kg to ml/cc to administer to correct amount of medicine. Can someone help?[
                  can you please help with me to convert 10mg to kg
                  10 mg = 0.01 g = 0.000 01 kg
                  For milligrams to grams, move decimal three places left, for kilograms, six places total.

Comment

I need to convert 250mg/kg into ml. the weight of the test animal is 250 grams.the medicine that will be administered is potassium citrate with a dose of 2meq/kg.

Comment

I need to convert 250mg/kg into ml. the weight of the test animal is 250 grams.the medicine that will be administered is potassium citrate with a dose of 2meq/kg.
                      I think you are missing some data. Please review post #5.
                      Either 250 mg/kg or 2 meq/kg is a dosing by weight of the subject. Your 250 g critter is 0.25 kg, so you need 62.5 mg or 0.5 meq (not the same thing!!). You need to be more certain as to what dose you wish to administer.

The molar mass of potassium citrate is 306.395 g, and 1 mol of it produces 3 moles of potassium ions in solution. I am assuming 306.396 g = 3 eq on this basis.

Finally, if this is dissolved in water, you need to know the strength to which the mixture is mixed. This could be stated in either mass, moles, or equivalents per unit of volume of the solution. Without knowing the strength of the solution, there is no way to proceed.

Please resolve what dose you really wish to administer and what concentration of potassium citrate you are using before you administer anything to your critter, or it may be "legs up" for him.

Comment

Please convert 10mg into 10ml

Comment

You stand a better chance of getting a good answer if you specify exactly what you need with words. For example , not (10 mg/kg to ml/cc) but (mg dosage per kg body weight to dosage volume in cc or ml per kg body weight).

Comment

You stand a better chance of getting a good answer if you specify exactly what you need with words. For example , not (10 mg/kg to ml/cc) but (mg dosage per kg body weight to dosage volume in cc or ml per kg body weight).
                            I think there is a basic misunderstanding of what the difference between volume, concentration and weight is, let alone dosage rate. I'm not sure that a lot of the posters realise mg is weight (or mass) and mL is volume, and you need the concentration of medicine in the mixture to convert them. The moderators believe there is a lot of people who can't afford the medicine they need so buy it cheap on line, but then can't dose themselves correctly. None of us who post here frequently have a medical background, and don't give medical advice.

Comment

I need to avail conversion of ton to cubic meter.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X