Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dalton-->ppm

hey guys,

I need to convert 50 ppm to Da. Can someone please help! I have been struggling with the conversion.

Thanks,
    rpatel10

Re: Dalton-->ppm

Originally posted by AwaitingActivation
    hey guys,

I need to convert 50 ppm to Da. Can someone please help! I have been struggling with the conversion.

Thanks,
    rpatel10
    Dalton is simply the alternate name for unified atomic mass unit. It is basically the molecular weight of a compound, independent of the concentration. It is also numerically equal to the molar mass in grams per mole.

Comment

Although this thread seems to be dead, I thought I would give another answer. Although I believe that this applies generally, I have seen it most often applied in the analytical chemistry, specifically mass spectrometry.

When we say percent we mean parts per hundred. So parts per million (PPM) is conceptually similar to a percentage. 50% = 50/100 in the same way 50 PPM is 50/1000000. Assume that you measure the mass of something that is 80 Da and something that is 10 kDa in an instrument with an error of 50 PPM. Your relative error for both is 50 PPM but your absolute error for the 80 Da measurement is 0.004 Da or 4 mDa and your absolute error for the 10, 000 Da measurements is 0.5 Da or 500 mDa.

Comment

Very helpful thanks!

Comment

If you wanted, here is the "plug and chug" formula:

(theoretical mass) / ((1/errorPPM)*1,000,000) = error(Da)

(theoretical mass) / ((1/errorPPM)*1,000) = error(mDa)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
          Working...
          X

Debug Information