Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing: gm to mg?

Hello everyone!
    I'm having a little trouble with gms and mgs.
    So, I'm giving my horse a MSM (sulfur) supplement. She's supposed to be getting 20,000 mg which is the dose that will do her joints good. (In case anyone cares, MSM is basically sulfur, which is an anti-inflammatory (sp?), which should take swelling in her leg down).
    Well, I looked on the label to see how much she's getting per dose. It said 152.26 gm
    I said alright, and went to a conversion site this morning (figuring gm meant 'gram', and mg meant 'millagram'.) It told me I was give her 152260 mgs of sulfur. Now that's like 5 times the normal dose of 20mg and 20mg is a higher dose than usual.
    So something is off. Any help please?

Re: Confusing: gm to mg?

Originally posted by rasalboy
    Hello everyone!
    I'm having a little trouble with gms and mgs.
    So, I'm giving my horse a MSM (sulfur) supplement. She's supposed to be getting 20,000 mg which is the dose that will do her joints good. (In case anyone cares, MSM is basically sulfur, which is an anti-inflammatory (sp?), which should take swelling in her leg down).
    Well, I looked on the label to see how much she's getting per dose. It said 152.26 gm
    I said alright, and went to a conversion site this morning (figuring gm meant 'gram', and mg meant 'millagram'.) It told me I was give her 152260 mgs of sulfur. Now that's like 5 times the normal dose of 20mg and 20mg is a higher dose than usual.
    So something is off. Any help please?
    First, 152 g is roughly 1/3 of a pound; that's a hell of a pill. Is it possible that the 152.26 g figure is the total contents of the bottle, not a single dose.

The other possibility is that "g" not "gm" is the proper symbol for gram. The "gm" could mean anything, but SHOULDN'T be used to mean "gram" and is not allowed as a symbol for gram under FPLA and UPLR packaging laws.

Comment

Working...
    X