• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion of latitude and longitude coordinates

I am trying to locate:

N 52 01 800
    W 002 23 540

If you could help me to convert it to a decimal version, that would be great, as this is all the information that I have been given. I would like to know the process though, as I cannot currently understand why the 'seconds' are three figures? Thanks!

Re: Conversion of latitude and longitude coordinates

Originally posted by Toerag
    I am trying to locate:

N 52 01 800
    W 002 23 540

If you could help me to convert it to a decimal version, that would be great, as this is all the information that I have been given. I would like to know the process though, as I cannot currently understand why the 'seconds' are three figures? Thanks!
    I would expect the seconds are given to tenths of seconds, ie the first is N 5201'80.0"

To get decimal degrees, divide the minutes by 60, and the tenths of seconds by 36000
    52 + 1/60 + 800/36000 = 52.038888
    Last edited by Robert Fogt; 11-02-2008, 01:33 PM. Reason: Removed posters email address by request

Comment

Can you help me? As part of a challenge I have been told to report to a car park at
      N 52 01 800 and W 002 23 540.

Are these longitude and latitude co -ordinates? I have googled earth it and it takes me to a field but that could right. Any advice you could give me on tha matter would be greatly appreciated.

Yours aye.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        Can you help me? As part of a challenge I have been told to report to a car park at
        N 52 01 800 and W 002 23 540.

Are these longitude and latitude co -ordinates? I have googled earth it and it takes me to a field but that could right. Any advice you could give me on tha matter would be greatly appreciated.

Yours aye.
        My only thought would be whether you correctly entered the West longitude. If entered mathematically, it may have to be entered as a negative number (I'm not sure how Google Earth handles it).

I can't think of any other interpretation for those numbers except lat/long.

Edit: Duh! My idea of tenths of seconds doesn't make much sense, as 80.0" is 1'20". Perhaps degrees and minutes with decimals:
        N 5201.800', W00223.540'
        Without proper unit labels, we don't really know what the numbers mean. As you are relatively near zero longitude, incorrectly entering east or west could cause confusion (for me the difference between Michigan and somewhere in Russia is pretty obvious)
        Last edited by JohnS; 11-13-2008, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Hope you guys have found the site. Drop me an e-mail if you're still stuck but its pretty obvious when you've got it right (There are lots of orange Landies nearby). Otherwise see you at G4 tomorrow. Bring thermal underwear, its going to be brass monkey weather...

Comment

lat 29.7400
            long-95.3600

can u help me i got the lat and long
            but idk how to find out where it takes me...
            its here in houston thats all i know

please help me

aixsatherebel@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              lat 29.7400
              long-95.3600

can u help me i got the lat and long
              but idk how to find out where it takes me...
              its here in houston thats all i know

please help me

aixsatherebel@yahoo.com
              Well you can:
              *Enter the coordinates in a GPS and let it guide you
              *Look for a map of the area that has a latitude/longitude grid overlaid on it.

(Sorry, I don't have a map of the area)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                Well you can:
                *Enter the coordinates in a GPS and let it guide you
                *Look for a map of the area that has a latitude/longitude grid overlaid on it.
                Or go here: http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp, enter the coordinates and create a map.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                Working...
                X