X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help understanding horse feed label

I'm trying to convert %, ppm, and iu/LB into grams. It is a 50lb bag. I have 3 horses that I feed this to. Horse #1 gets 3lbs per day divided into 2 feedings. Horse #2 gets 4lbs per day divided into 2 feedings. Horse #3 gets 1lb per day divided into 2 feedings. Here is a copy of the nutritional analysis:

Guaranteed Analysis (min. amounts except where noted)

Crude Protein
    14.0%

Lysine
    0.80%

Methionine
    0.30%

Threonine
    min. 0.50%

Crude Fat
    7.0%

Crude Fiber
    max. 15.0%

Calcium
    min. 0.90%-max. 1.20%

Phosphorus
    0.75%

Copper
    50 ppm

Zinc
    160ppm

Selenium
    0.6 ppm

Vitamin A
    3,500IU/lb

Vitamin D
    350 IU/lb

Vitamin E
    100 IU/lb

Biotin
    .45mg/lb

I have a website that I refer to for calculating the daily requirments for horses, and they are in grams. Example, Lysine 36g, Calcium 34g, etc. I don't know how to convert the info on this feed label. Can anyone help me?????? Thanks, Char

Re: need help understanding horse feed label

Originally posted by char
    I'm trying to convert %, ppm, and iu/LB into grams. It is a 50lb bag. I have 3 horses that I feed this to. Horse #1 gets 3lbs per day divided into 2 feedings. Horse #2 gets 4lbs per day divided into 2 feedings. Horse #3 gets 1lb per day divided into 2 feedings. Here is a copy of the nutritional analysis:

Guaranteed Analysis (min. amounts except where noted)

Crude Protein
    14.0%

Lysine
    0.80%

Methionine
    0.30%

Threonine
    min. 0.50%

Crude Fat
    7.0%

Crude Fiber
    max. 15.0%

Calcium
    min. 0.90%-max. 1.20%

Phosphorus
    0.75%

Copper
    50 ppm

Zinc
    160ppm

Selenium
    0.6 ppm

Vitamin A
    3,500IU/lb

Vitamin D
    350 IU/lb

Vitamin E
    100 IU/lb

Biotin
    .45mg/lb

I have a website that I refer to for calculating the daily requirments for horses, and they are in grams. Example, Lysine 36g, Calcium 34g, etc. I don't know how to convert the info on this feed label. Can anyone help me?????? Thanks, Char

OK, there are 453.6 g/lb. Rounding to the nearest 10 g (about 1/3 ounce), the horses get 1360 g, 1810 g, and 450 g total food per day. Lets take horse#1, 1360 g/day.

If we look at lysine, 0.8%, that's 0.008 expressed as a decimal. 1360 g/day x 0.008 = 10.9 g/day

Calcium 0.9 - 1.2% is 1360 x 0.009 = 12.2 g/day to 1360 x 0.012 = 16.3 g/day

For something like zinc, 160 ppm, remember you have to divide by 1 million. 1360 g x 160/1,000,000 = 0.22 g/day = 220 mg/day.

The requirements for lysine and calcium are not being met by the feed. I didn't look any others up. You probably need to look at supplements as I doubt you want to triple their feed.

Comment

Re: need help understanding horse feed label

Thanks so much. I know that the grain alone wouldn't meet their daily requirements, but I needed to know all the conversons to grams so that when I get their hay analysis back I can compare the two to see if the nutrients in the hay and grain combined are meeting their daily requirements. When I get the hay analysis back, would you mind helping me do the math???

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X

Debug Information